Wall Fill Covering Up Doors & Windows

Has anyone had this problem? I had this happen on another plan that never got fixed... yet. It also makes the casing turn white.

Casing turning white...
    Todd Smith
    Caleb & Gabriel Custom Homes
    www.caleb-gabriel.com
    caleb-gabriel@msn.com

JEREMIAH 33:3
    JOHN 3:16

One of these days I'm going to read the whole manual... Really!

Todd,

I don't have an answer for you, I'm afraid, but I have had something similar happen to me. My windows didn't show through the exterior wall surface at all. I had to CAD draw them in for my Elevation view.

I'm not sure about your wall, but my wall was custom layered to match the existing walls and I think that had something to do with it. It was strange though as the other walls were fine and I checked everything (at least I think I did) to make sure I hadn't missed something.

Good luck, I'll be interested to see the answer.

Dan

Todd,

Something funky is going on there. I think your casing trouble came about because the door and sidelites are being shown inside-out.

That's interior trim (my guess). The cover up is another thing. I would try deleting that entire wall and re-drawing it. The "covered entry portico" I assume, has been given a room definition? If yes, that's why you've possibly got the doors to reverse. Maybe it should be given an exterior property...like 'Porch' for example.

Maybe try not giving the vestibule a definition. Is there an invisible wall that can be deleted? You'll wind up having a three sided portico with an opening to the exterior.

Just my 2 cents. Thank you for the Sunday afternoon Chief challenge. Now back to work for me.

Originally posted by VHampton
    Thank you for the Sunday afternoon Chief challenge.
    VH,

Your welcome! Well, The homebuyers want the floor plan to be modified now. So, it won't be a problem deleting the wall and starting over.

I just wish I knew what was causing the problem. It seems to happen only on walls that have a transom placed above a door with sidelights or windows above windows. If anyone wants to play with the file I will post it or email it to them.
    Todd Smith
    www.caleb-gabriel.com
    caleb-gabriel@msn.com

Thanks for the reply Todd.

If you look back at your posted elevation, Can you spot the baseboard molding? It's showing up because Chief undoubtedly thinks that you've made an interior room. I bet if you took a camera view from inside the building, the exterior trim is alive and well in the Entry Foyer.

If the portico is constructed simply with three exterior walls that jig and jog, you'll have a different result.The roof over this space can be built regardless of a room definition on the first floor. (I assume you built the roof manually on the 2nd floor level.)

Just 2 more cents. I like to try and outsmart the program rather than the other way around.

One way to clean it up is to block all them together, do you know how to do this ?
    You can Find me on http://www.facebook.com/RickThomas100
    Thank GOD for Avatars ! So ugly people can hide behind them ! LOL
    Computer User since Atari 400
    AutoCad 9.0 to 2012 till Chief Came along.
    Chief User Since Version 4.0
    Building New Homes for 35 years.
    Don't let anybody fool you ! A home builder with CAD under his belt that actually uses a hammer and computer will run circles around the Desk jockey's playing with their mouse.

Todd, it does look like you have exterior siding on the inside of the foyer, as well as interior base molding on the outside.
    Eric W. Killip
    Exhibit A Model Home

V, Rick, & Eric,

Thanks for your help! You all had some very good points!

I didn't check every thing out yet. But I did notice the base trim being displayed after VHampton pointed it out.

I copied the arched transom window to another wall and then deleted the original, changed the window from level "0" to level "2" and copied back its original location and the wall is now displaying fine. I haven't checked out the base trim problem and haven't worked with the plan enough more to know if the problem will come back. The clients want me to modify the floor plan so I will probably delete this part anyway.

Thanks again for your help!
    Todd Smith
    www.caleb-gabriel.com
    caleb-gabriel@msn.com

I know you have it working to clean up the molding joints etc. Do this with your door and window combo Right click on it then hold down the shift key click on the remainder of the unit then select the box to the left of the screen in the child buttons, this will auto mull the entire unit. Then you can open it up and give it a special label like "3-0door-12"sidelites with arch transom"
    You can Find me on http://www.facebook.com/RickThomas100
    Thank GOD for Avatars ! So ugly people can hide behind them ! LOL
    Computer User since Atari 400
    AutoCad 9.0 to 2012 till Chief Came along.
    Chief User Since Version 4.0
    Building New Homes for 35 years.
    Don't let anybody fool you ! A home builder with CAD under his belt that actually uses a hammer and computer will run circles around the Desk jockey's playing with their mouse.

Rick,

Thanks for that info. After you told me about blocking the units I did try it on another plan... I didn't know that could be done! Also, I didn't know about the other features you just told me about!

Thank you very much!
    Todd Smith
    www.caleb-gabriel.com
    caleb-gabriel@msn.com

Rick is indeed the "Master of Chief".