Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Modern Box Siding issues

This style of custom home has gotten more popular in a specific segment of our local community, and I've been struggling with how to get the 3d image to display correctly, or at least so it looks good.

This style of siding is odd, in that there are panels that are large and vary in size, with the joints aligning with windows and doors as opposed to just a grid of some kind that could be displayed with a nice bump map texture. Stucco version have the control joints in very deliberate and specific points and the only way I could find to do this was to use a standard stucco wall, and then use the Psolid in section view applied in the pattern I wanted. It looks perfect, but it is very time consuming to do, throw in an angled wall or two and you've got a very tough challenge.

Do you guys have any bright idea's?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model2RTentry4.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	62117

Name:	20140105_144342.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	62118

Name:	3dRToptD2.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	62119

Also, the horizontal spaced wood siding is very, very similar to how we do deck planking, as a matter of fact, If I could use CA's deck tool in the vertical plane as opposed to just the horizontal deck plane, I could get a great 3d image of that type of siding, but again, all I can use is a texture file, or the molding line tool.
    -=JT=-

One way to approach would be to create a new hatch pattern, new material using that pattern and adjust using the pattern adjust and/or sizing. Then apply by creating a new wall or material region.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

I'd use stacked Exterior Room Molding Polyline with "square" moldings and adjust the heights and elevation of each. You would need to separate the ends (gap) where vertical joints are needed - or - put in breaks and specify "no molding on this segment".
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I think for me it depends on how regular (or not) the pattern is and how extensive the surface to be covered. For this one I made psolids as I was dealing with layout and varying color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maine Green Building Supply.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	62121  
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

One thing I just discovered with X6 is that the Exterior Room Molding Polyline automatically has "No Molding on Selected Line" checked. It would be nice if that was only true where the Polyline was intersected by an opening (door or window). Of course that would require the Polyline to be broken at those points.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

cache is offline Registered User Promoted
    If you are familiar with Blender this task is quite simple. UV unwrap the model in Blender and then add beveled joints in the normal map. Obviously if you wanted to go one step further you could create a displacement map that would actually create the geometry in the model. Renders would just take longer. Otherwise I'm afraid that psolids is probably your best bet because the joints must be aligned accurately.
    Software & Peripherals
    Chief Architect X6 beta
    Thea Render
    Blender
    Crazybumps
    Sketchup
    Photoshop CS6
    Wacom Tablet
    Three 24" and one 17" monitor

Portable Workstation
    Core2 Extreme 2.54GHz
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

Desktop
    Intel Core i5 3.8GHz Quad Core
    32GB DDR3 RAM
    Linux / Windows 7 64-bit
    GTX660 2GB discrete GPU

Are you trying to make the entire panel from a psolid, or just the expansion joint? I've placed similar lines making a psolid and then turning it into glass and just insetting into the surface so as to get that small edge detail. Not to mention you will want to dimension those expansion joints so they are installed correctly.
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

X6 has a new tool that should do exactly what you want.

Use a Wall Material Region and check Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object, give it a dark color, and only a single layer.
    If your external cladding has a thickness of 1", give the Wall Material Region a thickness of about 1/8" or similar.

Copy, paste, stretch, etc., as you need.

Here is a pic of the result where I have exaggerated the wall thickness and Wall Material Region size to demonstrate how it works.

PS. Note that the siding is one homogeneous material with expansion groves cut into it. It is not a series of separate panels.
    The effect is the same, but this method is a lot easier than using separate panels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Image_20.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	62180  
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    X6 has a new tool that should do exactly what you want.

Use a Wall Material Region and check Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object, give it a dark color, and only a single layer.
    If your external cladding has a thickness of 1", give the Wall Material Region a thickness of about 1/8" or similar.

Copy, paste, stretch, etc., as you need.

Here is a pic of the result where I have exaggerated the wall thickness and Wall Material Region size to demonstrate how it works.
    Holy kamoly, there are the stucco expansion joints.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

d dot,

I guess we shouldn't use the Wall Material Region tool for that because some users will probably call it a workaround and then they will want a tool that draws expansion joints in cladding.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glen, I never thought of using that tool for that application, something new every day.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Very Nice Glenn!

Like Scott said: Stucco Expansion Joints or Tilt-up Concrete Reveals
    Windows 8.1

I never thought of using that tool for that application

Precisely why it is potentially a workaround

If there is a need for these items then a dedicated tool or setting should be created
    for them.

all these "secrets" lead to frustration and annoyance with the software

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    I never thought of using that tool for that application

Precisely why it is potentially a workaround

If there is a need for these items then a dedicated tool or setting should be created
    for them.

all these "secrets" lead to frustration and annoyance with the software

Lew
    This is all Glenn's fault. If he would stop coming up with multiple uses for tools, there would not be a problem. Now to rectify this, I believe CA should duplicate this tool two more times and rename one the STUCCO EXPANSION TOOL and the other one THE TILT UP CONC WALL TOOL.

CA, please make this so, thank you.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I did a search under "Material Region" to see if CA has a training vid or even info on this new tool for X6. If CA (or someone else?) is watching this a video instruction on this would be more than helpful. I agree with Lew, how is the non-CA-pro supposed to know this.

Thanks
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD