Hybrid View

Yusuf I think most people that use Chief don't do those kinds of buildings other than to just model them.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Yusuf I think most people that use Chief don't do those kinds of buildings other than to just model them.
    perry i am not sure they dont do, how could you say that while i know there r big archs and even engineers that use it and do a lot with it, power chiefers, like joe
    I am sorry i dont agree perry.
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by yusuf View Post
    perry i am not sure they dont do, how could you say that while i know there r big archs and even engineers that use it and do a lot with it, power chiefers, like joe
    I am sorry i dont agree perry.
    I can say that because simply, Chief is not geared for that kind of construction. Sure you can model an exterior with it, but I would never try in a million years to do a full working drawing with it. You even tell us you use another program for the structural. With Chief, you would have to make everything out of p-solids, waste of valuable time if you ask me when there are other programs that do the job better. Anyway if you were doing projects like high rises, you could afford to use the best programs out there.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I can say that because simply, Chief is not geared for that kind of construction. Sure you can model an exterior with it, but I would never try in a million years to do a full working drawing with it. You even tell us you use another program for the structural. With Chief, you would have to make everything out of p-solids, waste of valuable time if you ask me when there are other programs that do the job better. Anyway if you were doing projects like high rises, you could afford to use the best programs out there.
    perry, actually in the pictures i posted that almost complete working drawngs where done in ca cad details incorporated with the model by creating many layers for structural details and was not that much difficult but, i agree with you and hope to make your kindly advises empemened. Specially i am interested in how revit makes the issue easy pissy and will look at it soon.
    Thanks for the inputs perry.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Perry,

I just had a little play and it's not really hard to model reinforced concrete construction with Chief - even automatically.
    Slabs are floor structure, concrete beams are just beefed up framing members with appropriate sizes, material and spacings.
    The framing (concrete beams) can be easily done with auto framing.

I wouldn't mind having a go at one.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 01-30-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

[QUOTE=Glenn Woodward;463620]Perry,

I just had a little play and it's not really hard to model reinforced concrete construction with Chief - even automatically.
    Slabs are floor structure, concrete beams are just beefed up framing members with appropriate sizes, material and spacings.
    The framing (concrete beams) can be easily done with auto framing.

I wouldn't mind having a go at one.[/QUOTE
    I would like to see that one, It, for sure, would interest the guru's at Chief. You and Scott have a good dinner, make a video of it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Yusef,
    thats pretty similar workflow to how we coordinate larger comercial projects here, I'm not sure what our structural guys are using (probably TEDDS from memory or spacegas) but usually we send them the model and they put structural elements back into the revit model and send back to us....either way, depending on your grid ethos (tartan or faces) if say columns get bigger or whatever it may impact on your architectural...hence why I think Revit is incorporating the 'extensions' thing now in Arch, however a lot of people I work with wouldn't know how to make the initial deisgn assumption and so something like this helps them out a lot.......I'm at work right now so just grabbed a few screenshots to show what it is..its pretty awesome I must say. Even for smashing out a basic portal frame and then moving/ editing later...its a bit like CA, once you start editing the parametric framing model the 'wizard' functionality cannot be used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	57457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	57458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	57459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	57460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	57461

Glenn, I'm keen to see what you did in CA.
    Dave
    Chief X5

Quote Originally Posted by function9 View Post
    Yusef,
    thats pretty similar workflow to how we coordinate larger comercial projects here, I'm not sure what our structural guys are using (probably TEDDS from memory or spacegas) but usually we send them the model and they put structural elements back into the revit model and send back to us....either way, depending on your grid ethos (tartan or faces) if say columns get bigger or whatever it may impact on your architectural...hence why I think Revit is incorporating the 'extensions' thing now in Arch, however a lot of people I work with wouldn't know how to make the initial deisgn assumption and so something like this helps them out a lot.......I'm at work right now so just grabbed a few screenshots to show what it is..its pretty awesome I must say. Even for smashing out a basic portal frame and then moving/ editing later...its a bit like CA, once you start editing the parametric framing model the 'wizard' functionality cannot be used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	57457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	57458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	57459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	57460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	57461

Glenn, I'm keen to see what you did in CA.
    dave, all of my thoughts r well integrated there, absollutely well proggrammed. i wish ca widen their scope similar to that, they need to move forward, and provide us "ca edge versions" to do that kind of sharp computations.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf:

Perry is correct

while Chief can create 30 floor models it is really only good for generic modeling

Chief doesn't have industry standard BIM and can't do real MEP planning or real structural analysis
    and can't do collision detection

if you need this level of software you will need to consider Revit or Intellicad etc

with chief you could create the 3D models
    then use chief's cad tools to create cad details to show how it will really be built

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)