Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rc stractural drawings in ca?

Does any one use ca for stactural detailings like beam, footing, column,stair slab details like the way it simplifies the timber structures after the engineering calks done, any tips would be appreciated if there is some that i am missing.
    Thanks
    Yusuf hassen/
    engineer & architect.......
    Win7 home premium,32bit,3GB ram ...
    X2/X4 premium
    Autocad 2010, Staadpro 2004.

Hi Yusuf,

You mean reinforced concrete structures? If so, the answer is "no". At least doesn't meet the standards for me.
    By default, Chief Architect thinks every building you draw has timber framing.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

I do use chief for structural details/plans. I start with a template that includes the standard details used by the engineer I work with. Then with the proper use of layers and layer sets I can quickly generate structural details/drawings that can be reviewed and red-lined by the engineer, which I can then very easily edit for final stamped structural plan.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

I pretty much do the same as Ben said and I use Chief for all the prescriptive structural detailing that I do for clients.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Quote Originally Posted by portrait View Post
    Hi Yusuf,

You mean reinforced concrete structures? If so, the answer is "no". At least doesn't meet the standards for me.
    By default, Chief Architect thinks every building you draw has timber framing.
    yes mr. ozgur i mean "reinforced concrete structures" this is the conventional type of construction here and a lot of other countries as far as i know, and i thing it would have been easy for ca to do such things, if they consider it important(for me it would be a highly powerfull drafting app).just a wizard for the common structural members by allowing input areas for the creation of the member geometry(already there now) , and other cells for the details like number and diameter of bars, lap length, curtailment and more then automatically gives the drawings with miniimal isues to complete. I thing the one thing to to take care would be different countries codes which would be easy leaving that areas for users but in a way that simplifies the routine work. ca should think of a way to do do that. I have seen some thing a good start framing dbx(why not continue?) and indicates their interest to some extent.
    Thanks ozgur, andy and ben for the responce,
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf,

I don't know if it is useful but there is an options tab under foundation defaults that allows you spell out reinforcing, but unfortunately, I have never seen the rebar show up in section. Just the material list.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly K View Post
    Yusuf,

I don't know if it is useful but there is an options tab under foundation defaults that allows you spell out reinforcing, but unfortunately, I have never seen the rebar show up in section. Just the material list.
    Kelly, yes it is also in the framing dbx(posts and beams) when you select concrete from the drop down, let alone it appears as a drawing it is just an approximation of the rebar length.to mention some of the apparent defficiencies, in beams they should differentiate the top and botom bars and the negative bars at supports on top the diameter of each bar to the minimum, so that we can get some what accurate quantity. But they could develope it further to be accurate and even give an out put of the detail drawings of the common structural components, if they give a little bit attention.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf,

If you are referring to what Revit does in their "Structural" program - I don't think CA comes close. However, the standard Revit doesn't do it either - as the Revit "structural" is specifically designed for 3D model/engineering. So you know, I think you can use most model types with the Revit Structural - I think I saw that in their marketing. The cost of this program though is VERY high.

JP
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD

I also draw all the structural within Chief.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Yusuf,

If you are referring to what Revit does in their "Structural" program - I don't think CA comes close. However, the standard Revit doesn't do it either - as the Revit "structural" is specifically designed for 3D model/engineering. So you know, I think you can use most model types with the Revit Structural - I think I saw that in their marketing. The cost of this program though is VERY high.

JP
    jhonny, basically i am not refferencing revit, good to hear that revit structure solves that isues.
    I have been doing the structural drawing using autocad, but i have tried some of my works to what extent i can procceed in ca.
    while i was doing this i had a thought that ca can automate some part. Here is my trial in ca to model and work layers in advance as i did in cad and it was britty cool, but ca company could simplify and automate much of it. I have used staad 2004 and it applies modjules of some stractural members in different codes and gives the drawings automaticall after you finish the eng calcs in the same wizard. But this is limited to a eurocode, indian and us codes and majorily not drawing optimized so needs a lot of editting of the dwg file it provides you automatically.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st f8.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	57413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st 73.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	57415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	structure model 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	57416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stracture.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	57417  
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf I think most people that use Chief don't do those kinds of buildings other than to just model them.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Yusuf I think most people that use Chief don't do those kinds of buildings other than to just model them.
    perry i am not sure they dont do, how could you say that while i know there r big archs and even engineers that use it and do a lot with it, power chiefers, like joe
    I am sorry i dont agree perry.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

Yusuf:

Perry is correct

while Chief can create 30 floor models it is really only good for generic modeling

Chief doesn't have industry standard BIM and can't do real MEP planning or real structural analysis
    and can't do collision detection

if you need this level of software you will need to consider Revit or Intellicad etc

with chief you could create the 3D models
    then use chief's cad tools to create cad details to show how it will really be built

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

lew, if that is what perry said i agree, i misspelt it.
    I understand that ca is not stractural analysis app, i mentioned clearly i was jus talking about automated drafting not load calcs.
    Yusuf hassen/
    X2/X4 premium

FYI; Revit architecture has structural members (timber and RC) that contain Ix-Iy, modulus, centroid/ eccentricity info etc. so when you design something architecturally you can get yourself in the ballpark if you know the right design assumption equations. This helps coordinate it out to consultants/ engineers and speeds up the process... its pretty clever from autodesk to follow industry procurement methods and put the right tools/ elements into various packages and lock everyone in for the ride ...expensive too.
    Revit.Arch also now has this thing called Extensions, you select what country you are in, select steel or timber and load all the sections/ profiles you want then use frame generator to do anything from timber framing for residential right thru to large portal frame construction...pretty cool, it automates lateral bracing, purlin sizes etc.

Yusef, I'm not sure what it is you are asking..you say no loading clacs? Do you mean: Can CA display a framing plan but with concrete & steel members?
    Dave
    Chief X5