Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Live' Section Question

I've been moving to more and more 'live' elevations and sections as my models become more accurate and wonder how live sections update and why. I have a live section that I've heavily annotated and just realized the floor is raised on a stem wall with a small crawl space instead of the monoslab I currently have modeled.

I've saved the floor plan so I can experiment because i don't want to lose the annotations in case I make too many errors in switching the foundation.

Here's my question. I have both the floor plan and section views open and when I delete the foundation level nothing changes in the section view. The original foundation still shows up as an unchanged mono slab. So is this section not as 'live' as I think it is? The framing has updated to TJI's that replaced the 2 x 10's originally modeled so it seems to act 'live' but the foundation remains unchanged even when I delete the entire floor.

I think this is pretty easy but am stumped at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    I've been moving to more and more 'live' elevations and sections as my models become more accurate and wonder how live sections update and why. I have a live section that I've heavily annotated and just realized the floor is raised on a stem wall with a small crawl space instead of the monoslab I currently have modeled.

I've saved the floor plan so I can experiment because i don't want to lose the annotations in case I make too many errors in switching the foundation.

Here's my question. I have both the floor plan and section views open and when I delete the foundation level nothing changes in the section view. The original foundation still shows up as an unchanged mono slab. So is this section not as 'live' as I think it is? The framing has updated to TJI's that replaced the 2 x 10's originally modeled so it seems to act 'live' but the foundation remains unchanged even when I delete the entire floor.

I think this is pretty easy but am stumped at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
    You must open the view and then close it and what is on layout will update. Sections and elevations are not truly "live" like plan views but by opening and closing the view it will update.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I think that was it Scott. It seems to operate more as I would expect with the opening and closing of the view. Thanks.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Plan views sent to a layout box are dynamic or "live" views and the data shown should always be up-to-date with the data in the plan that was sent. This assumes that you are not sending the view as an image which would not be dynamic.

Cross sections and elevation views are semi-dynamic where the 3D part of the data is static (like a snapshot of what you had when you sent the view) and any added CAD, dimensions, or text is always dynamic. If you make any changes to the 3D model, you will need to update your layout boxes to show those changes.

The easiest way to update the layout boxes is to open the layout, open the cross section/elevation view associated with the box, and then close the view. Chief will then prompt you and ask you whether or not you want to update the layout view. Just click on the "OK" button. Keep in mind that if you have used the Edit Layout tool to modify any of the data in the layout box that those changes will be lost when you update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	updating elevations.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	50907  
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Keep in mind that if you have used the Edit Layout tool to modify any of
    the data in the layout box that those changes will be lost when you update.
    That's why you should always put "annotation" on the live section/elevation .
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    Keep in mind that if you have used the Edit Layout tool to modify any of the data in the layout box that those changes will be lost when you update.
    I'm beginning to understand this better but still get trapped by this 'feature' of Chief. I would prefer a method that would allow editing of the actual view being sent to Layout versus editing a view while in Layout which risks losing data if you inadvertently 'update' a view to Layout.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I just noticed that annotations do not need to be 'updated' to reflect changes made in a live section view (for me, adding to the confusion of this 'feature'). Perhaps that's what you were alluding to Perry?

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Or at least be able to save the changes to the view.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Perry, Great point!

A lot of users don't realize the importance of adding their annotations to the live section and not on the layout view.
    It can be done on the layout view, but I would not recommend it at all.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

There seems to be a difference between annotations and other additions/changes to the 'live' section. Annotations are updated to Layout without clicking on 'OK' in the update dialog box while other changes are not updated to Layout unless you click 'OK' in the update dbx. Is this accurate?

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    There seems to be a difference between annotations and other additions/changes to the 'live' section. Annotations are updated to Layout without clicking on 'OK' in the update dialog box while other changes are not updated to Layout unless you click 'OK' in the update dbx. Is this accurate?
    Yes, that is an accurate statement.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    What do you mean when you say "put annotation on". It that the same as using annotation sets . I have annotation sets that I use for different views that I send to layout. ie exterior elevation set, floor plan set, plot plan set, electrical set, etc. etc. Is that what you mean
    Vince Kunasek, Owner
    Vince Kunasek Design INC.
    14819 Black Street
    Bennington, NE. 68007
    http://www.vincekunasekdesign.com/
    vince@vincekunasekdesign.com
    Ph.(402) 315-9996
    Fax(402) 315-9614

"Achieving excellence in design has never been about the Designer...
    It has always been about the designer's commitment to those
    in search of it..." Vince Kunasek

Quote Originally Posted by vincent kunasek View Post
    What do you mean when you say "put annotation on". It that the same as using annotation sets . I have annotation sets that I use for different views that I send to layout. ie exterior elevation set, floor plan set, plot plan set, electrical set, etc. etc. Is that what you mean
    No. Not annotation sets- that's a whole different thing. He is referring to the placing of your text, etc., on your "live" section drawings and not on the layout sheet.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com

Kinda like this. All the text has been added to the 'live' section and it updates automatically to the Layout page the section has been sent to. It is indeed part of an Annotation Set but you can use any kind of text to do the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section Anno 1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	50919

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Along these lines (excuse the pun) I always make it a rule to add cad (and notations) to the elevation view (it always remains after an update to layout) and the only changes in layout are to delete any errant lines.
    This allows the least possible editing in layout.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD