Question CAX3 obruptly closes when deleting

First, I apologize for posting this even though I am sure it is already posted elsewhere. Honestly, I just don't feel like searching. Anyway...

On occasion, within any file I'm working on, when I delete something the program thinks I'm closing by bringing up a warning message stating so. I click 'yes' so it saves before it closes. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix? Thanks in advance.

that shouldn't be happening - I haven't heard of it happening to others

can you post your step-by-step and maybe some screen pics ???

you may need to contact tech support on Monday

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

This has happened for me in every version of Cheif I've tried since X. I do not have X3, but I am hardly surprised to learn that it is happening there too.

No1ZZTopFan, I do not think the program is assuming you want to close. I assume it is a bug, and it's smart enough to ask you to save your work before it closes.

What are your computer spec's?
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

"when I delete something the program thinks I'm closing by bringing up a warning message stating so"

I have never heard or seen this particular problem before. You might want to post an image of the message you are getting. I am going to assume that your description is unclear and that what the program is really doing is telling you that it encountered a serious problem and should be closed. This is basically a "crash" and if you can repeat this problem, then you should always report this kind problem to tech support. Even when you can't repeat this problem, you should use the Send Report button if it is available.

X3 should have far fewer problems then X2 and prior versions. Even the new beta version of X4 should have less problems then the older versions. If you are not using the latest update available for your version, you should download and install it. It is also possible that you are having problems with your hardware or operating system. It is also possible that you are working with a plan that is somehow corrupted.

The bottom line is that people on this forum can only make guesses as to what might be causing your particular problems. I would really encourage you to contact tech support for dealing with this issue.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

This is exactly what I am looking for, since this is happening with me too.
    I have a Dell XPS i7 - 6gig ram, and ATI 5800 series video card - (2) 30" Dell monitors. Running X3 Premiere.

how often is this happening?
    I have found X3 and X4 very stable, at most I get 1 crash a month except in 1 particular file that was complex in that I had several floor levels on each floor and it had originated in V10. otherwise very stable.
    as suggested contact tech support.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

Quote Originally Posted by No1ZZTopfan View Post
    First, I apologize for posting this even though I am sure it is already posted elsewhere. Honestly, I just don't feel like searching. Anyway...

On occasion, within any file I'm working on, when I delete something the program thinks I'm closing by bringing up a warning message stating so. I click 'yes' so it saves before it closes. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix? Thanks in advance.
    its caused by chief's built in security scanning. if the instillation platform isnt quite right chief sees it as being a pirate version and closes after a certain number of deletions and or mouse clicks.

shame the modirator cannot allow the truth to be told here, my last message was deleted from this thread so i post it again in short!

Chief's internal security system does not cause crashes and Adam is wrong to suggest this. I believe it is actually the most frequently used feature of Chief and it is probably the most stable as a result of this.

It is possible that a "hacked" version of Chief will crash frequently but that is a result of the hackers altering the program executable which can then make it unstable. Chief Architect does not have the ability to fix a "hacked" version and we have no desire to do this even if we could. If in fact the original poster is using a "hacked" version of the program, this may explain his problems and his best solution is to purchase a legal version.

If not, I will restate what I have said previously, "...people on this forum can only make guesses as to what might be causing your particular problems. I would really encourage you to contact tech support for dealing with this issue."
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I wrote the security and I can back up Dermot's statements.

The only thing I would like to add is that the most common crash is due to running out of memory in 32 bit versions of Chief. The 64 bit version of X4 solves this.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Sorry for the extremely belated response and forgive me for not being very clear on this problem.

The best way to describe what is happening is this...
    After opening a file and making any changes or adding anything, click the 'x' in the upper right corner. A message appears that states "{name of file} has been modified. Do you wish to save it?" I click 'yes' and the program closes.

This is what happens when I delete something. Nothing specific either. It also doesn't do it all the time. My best guess is it will occur after a short time, maybe ten minutes. I've checked every setting I can think of but it still 'closes'. The one thing I haven't done yet is uninstall and re-install completely. I would rather not have to do that because I doubt it would work.

Also, I'm running CAX3 on Win7 (64b), 8G memory, AMD Quad 4 3Ghz professor, ATI 3000HD vid card. I am almost sure it is not my system causing the problem either.

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone.
    Last edited by No1ZZTopfan; 09-04-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: minor addition

This is not typical behavior

so a re-install may help

if not, then you will need to discuss with tech support on Tuesday

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)