Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    to be honest i wonder if the reason that chief cannot do seamless corner windows is because it isnt a structurally sound method of forming a corner in a load bearing wall?

i wish that perhaps one of the chief guys would add input to this topic so we could learn their thinking about this topic once and for all. obviously it has gone on for some time now in various posts!

[QUOTE=adamjedgar;404513]to be honest i wonder if the reason that chief cannot do seamless corner windows is because it isnt a structurally sound method of forming a corner in a load bearing wall?/QUOTE]

1. Nothing says the wall has to be load bearing.
    2. I've actually designed a couple of buildings with windows like this where the wall in question was load bearing.
    3. There are lots of things that Chief does or can be made to do which wouldn't be structurally possible.

This is just a special case that doesn't fit the normal method of cutting out a hole in a wall - Chief's standard is to always leave a minimum wall intersection where 2 walls meet.

This is just a special case that doesn't fit the normal method of cutting out a hole in a wall - Chief's standard is to always leave a minimum wall intersection where 2 walls meet.

Joe:

maybe CA can create a special version of a pass-thru ... that works like a corner cabinet does ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew,

I'm sure the could - it just depends on their motivation and priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjedgar View Post
    to be honest i wonder if the reason that chief cannot do seamless corner windows is because it isn't a structurally sound method of forming a corner in a load bearing wall?

i wish that perhaps one of the chief guys would add input to this topic so we could learn their thinking about this topic once and for all. obviously it has gone on for some time now in various posts!
    I'm designing a steel I Beam structure with a seamless corner window on a load bearing wall - it's done all the time on really high end homes with spans that would shock you - but are, of course, structurally sound.

The developers at Chief have priorities, the users have priorities and sometimes those two desires match, but many times they do not as is evidenced by many requests that have gone unimplemented for years.

In this case the solution is really quite simple and the need for this feature relatively rare. I would assume that the Chief devs simply have decided to put their resources somewhere else, and it is after all, their software and their business decision, which has worked out fairly well for Chief as a company.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

I came up with another method of creating the opening that's even better.

1. Copy the Insulation-Air Gap material to a new material named "Transparent" and set the transparency to 100% in the properties tab.

2. Set the defaults for windows so that minimum separation is 0"

3. Insert 2 pass thru openings at a corner and suppress all casings, lintels and sills - both inside and out.

4. Drag the ends of the openings into the corner so that you don't see any corner of the wall in Plan View. In 3D you will still see a post at the corner between the 2 openings.

5. Set the Interior and Exterior Trim for these openings to the "Transparent" material.

The wall will "Frame" with studs and headers above the corner opening which will need some manual tweaking by adding cantilevered beams or ......
    But this is pretty good.

Joe:

good method

I might even be able to do that

hopefully CA will be able to program these steps into a corner window tool

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Video on the way, I will post in the chatroom.... all hail the Great JC.... he's my friend.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Here it is guys, a darn good video...

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....591#post404591
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post

1. Copy the Insulation-Air Gap material to a new material named "Transparent" and set the transparency to 100% in the properties tab.

3. Insert 2 pass thru openings at a corner and suppress all casings, lintels and sills - both inside and out.

4. Drag the ends of the openings into the corner so that you don't see any corner of the wall in Plan View. In 3D you will still see a post at the corner between the 2 openings.

5. Set the Interior and Exterior Trim for these openings to the "Transparent" material.

The wall will "Frame" with studs and headers above the corner opening which will need some manual tweaking by adding cantilevered beams or ......
    But this is pretty good.
    thank's Joe

thank's adamr

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Here it is guys, a darn good video...

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....591#post404591
    This route does not work for me!!!! I get a message that it is an invalid path.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Well Ron, try this link out.......

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthelp/corner_window.html

try this link and go to the bottom and we will see more videos than you will ever want to see again, thanks to the great David Michael

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthelp/index.html
    Last edited by dshall; 10-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post

But this is pretty good.
    best methode for cutting wall joe i can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Well Ron, try this link out.......

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthelp/corner_window.html

try this link and go to the bottom and we will see more videos than you will ever want to see again, thanks to the great David Michael

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthelp/index.html
    wuaahhhh.....