Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Warped roof plane fillers

In building an as-build condition, I need to have a couple of small roof planes that warp. (see image)

I know Chief's planes are not capable of doing this, and in some threads I've read, suitable 3d objects can be made using the terrain tools, and converting to a symbol which can then be placed into position in the roof.

Can someone share the exact recipe for doing this? thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warped roof plane.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	51423  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Chief can do that,using roof planes, but it will take some work, and it will need to be done manually
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Dave:

Have you done any manual roof plane building? It looks to me like this can easily be done, providing your roof pitch and other information is good. You will need to figure out the slope of that roof plane to get it installed into the existing roof and perhaps need a couple of other reference measurements to get it accurately placed into the roof system, but Chief should be able to do this with its roof tools from what I can see in your image.

If I have misinterpreted your image, and the pitch of the roof section varies from the top side to the bottom side, then "maybe" you'll have to use some other method. Can you post the plan and I will have a peak at it?
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    .......................I need to have a couple of small roof planes that warp. (see image)

I know Chief's planes are not capable of doing this, and in some threads I've read, suitable 3d objects can be made using the terrain tools, and converting to a symbol which can then be placed into position in the roof.....................
    I agree, the warped roof planes are an interesting conundrum.......... I do not have a quick solution..............
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

The issue is that the PITCH of the roof plane is ever changing... no quick solution.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    The issue is that the PITCH of the roof plane is ever changing... no quick solution.
    But to back up for a minute....... this may be achieved if we recognize that the ROOF BASELINE, is NOT PARALLEL to the intersection of the two roof planes...... so what I am saying is the pitch MAY BE a consistent pitch, but you must first determine along what line the pitch (i.e. ROOF BASELINE) is parallel to...... oh nuts, sounds like a lot of work.....
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

...... so what I am saying is the pitch MAY BE a consistent pitch, .....
    But probably not...... oooohhhh, this is an interesting conundrum...... good luck with this mess..... yeah, now that I think about it more, we are discussing a roof plane with FOUR specific locations, therefore it could be "WARPED", if it was only THREE specific locations it would not be warped....... hey Chief, fix this..... oh forget it, it's only for Dave Pitman.... just goofing with you Dave.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I must back up again, it seems as if you can generate a roof plane that would work for you but it would take a ROOF BASE LINE that was not only NOT SQUARE, but also AT AN ANGLE that was not parallel to the ground............... oh boy, way over my head...... hey CA, please fix this for Dave Pittman.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I think that it can be done by using multiple triangle planes to simulate the single warped plane (http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ped+plane+roof)
    The triangle planes that have the tops angled are the problem for me, but I'm working on it.

Any tips on specifying those planes are welcome.

In the referenced thread, Doug Park says it's super easy, but doesn't follow up.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    I................Doug Park says it's super easy,..............
    These kind of responses crack me up, I have seen these kind of responses from many people, yeah, super easy, well show us............ talk is cheap........... I have just finished a video that is now cooking, no concrete answers, a bunch of noise from me.... just playing around..... you might want to watch is when I post it, but again no concrete answers.... just a bunch of noise......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Try using "Primitive Faces" for this. You can display a 3D Perspective View and snap to locations in 3D to create the "Face". The procedure to create a face is to pick a starting location, then each additional vertex and end by picking the original location.

It's that easy! The key for me is to insert vertices at the locations that I want to use for the edges of the Primitive Face. 3D object corners work pretty well for this.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 02-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Try using "Primitive Faces" for this. You can display a 3D Perspective View and snap to locations in 3D to create the "Face". The procedure to create a face is to pick a starting location, then each additional vertex and end by picking the original location.

It's that easy!
    Did you say you get the framing with this method?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Did you say you get the framing with this method?
    Of course not. What do you want from Chief for pete's sake

You wouldn't expect a Pline Solid to create framing so you shouldn't expect it from a simple 3D Face.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 02-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Dave Pittman's warped roof plane video, a bunch of nonsense but.............

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/DAV...OF%20PLANE.wmv
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Dave .... can you post the plan? If you pinpoint on those larger roof planes exactly where those 4 corners are, we might be able to provide you with a solution. Without the plan .... ??????

Upon further review of your posts and reading the thread you provided the link for, it sounds as if Gene Davis' method is probably the only one that might work as it sounds like the pitch of your warped roof section varies as you move from AB to CD. I am not a Sketchup user so, absent an ability to possibly break up the "existing" ridge into multiple sections (and maybe the valley intersection as well??), you may not have an easy CA solution.
    Last edited by Curtis Johnson; 02-13-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard