Line Sizes In Plan Or In Layout?

I just sent a plan to layout and the line weights are much larger than on the plan. I checked the 'Use Layout Line Scale' box and have to think this is the problem.

I checked the help file and really don't understand that dbx or the purpose.

What strategy do you all use when determining your line weights in Layout?

Do you specify everything in plan and ignore the Use Layout Line Scale feature? Or does that feature do great thing I should know about?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Watch the whats new training videos #227 - 230 These cover new information on layouts in X1.

Read the chapter on layouts in User's Guide (the thin black manual for X1)

Read the following help article:
    http://www.chiefarchitect.com/suppor...?faqNumber=705

Read pages 932 - 934 in the reference manual.

Finally make absolutly sure your line weight scaling for the layout is set the same as the plan. If it's not you will run into trouble.

It's a somewhat complex subject but you should understand how line weight scaling works before you start printing.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Thanks Dan I'll do some more reading.

Do the rest of you use the 'Use Layout Line Scaling' feature when sending plans to layout?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Always use it - Haven't a clue what it really is but when dashed lines were exaggerated when plan was printed resent plan to layout w/line scaling checked and dashed lines appeared in print as they appeared on the monitor - also I believe to universally change line wights in layout can only be accomplished if the line scaling was selected.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Do the rest of you use the 'Use Layout Line Scaling' feature when sending plans to layout?
    Absolutely. I can't think of many reasons not to have this checked.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

When I set up a line weight of 14 on the Default CAD layer and with the 'Show Line Weights Button Clicked I get this size dashed line for the foundation plan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smith Garage Details 3.gif 
Views:	118 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	20618

When I send to Layout WITHOUT 'Use Layout Line Scaling' I get the same sized dashed line. (See below) When I send WITH 'Use Layout Line Scaling' I get the bigger dashed lines you see.

Both the page and send to layout are set to 1/4" = 1 ft. Is this the behavior I should expect? And if so why would I use the 'Use Layout Line Scaling' if it alters the line weights from the plan as shown?

Does the foundation CAD dashed line behave differently? Why?

Name:	Smith Garage Details 2.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	20617

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

i've been struggling with this for a while now...i hadnt read the article yet, but it was very helpful.
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

You guys are using a layout from version 10 - which reverses the effect of line scaling while in X1
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZE WOOD
    You guys are using a layout from version 10 - which reverses the effect of line scaling while in X1
    Huh? The layout I'm using is from X-1. Breeze cold you explain further?

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

1) If you don't know anything about line weights use line weight scaling. There are cases where you might want this, such as magnifying an area including the line weights.

2) Make sure that in the plan, detail or elevation that you are sending to layout that the line weight scaling is the same as in the layout you are sending to. If they aren't you will need to be a math wizard to figure out what the effect is. We have added a warning message for this for X1.5 to help identify this problem.

The description of the problem is exactly what I would expect if condition 2 is not met. Changing the use layout line scaling should have no effect on the line weights when the scale in the plan and scale sent to layout at are the same.

There are 3 scales to worry about here.

1) The plan.
    2) The view in the layout. (Usually this should be the same as the plan)
    3) The scale of the layout itself. (This should be 1:1 in virtually all cases)

There are 2 line weight scales to worry about.

1) The plan.
    2) The layout.

Use layout line weight scale will make a line weight of say 18 in your plan the same as a line drawn on the layout page at the same line weight.

The problem described can happen due to a plan brought forward from 10 and sent to an X1 layout or with a layout from 10 with an X1 plan sent to it. In one case the line weights will be too thin in the layout and in the other the line weights will be too fat.

A plan created in V10 should use a layout created in V10.
    A plan created in X1 should use a layout created in X1.

Mixing the two will require quite a bit of work and is not recommended.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Dan,
    I tried a couple of different scenarios and discovered the discrepancy you mention in Step 2. I just didn't know where to look for that difference. If there's anyone else who does not know where those settings are they are in the Print > Page Setup dbx in both the plan and layout files.

Here's the setting in the Layout Page Set Up dbx

Name:	Layout Page Set up.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	20673

And here's what I had in the Plan Page Set Up dbx - don't know where that came from as I think the default is 1 = 1/600 inch

Name:	Plan Page Set up.gif 
Views:	145 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	20674

Giving me the large dashed line below.

Name:	Line Weight 4.gif 
Views:	133 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	20678

Again thanks so much for the patience and I hope this thread helps another Chiefster get a clearer picture on how line weights work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line Weight 1.gif 
Views:	146 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	20677  

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief
    Huh? The layout I'm using is from X-1. Breeze cold you explain further?
    Larry, If you bring a V10 layout into X1, you have to change your "Line Weight Scale". V10 is set at 1= 1/600 of an Inch(Which is what's showing on your attachment). X1 uses a line weight scale of 1= 1/100 of a mm. You must change this for every V10 layout brought into X1. You should not bring over your layout template from 10 to X1, you should create a new one in X1. If you do so, It should set up your line weights properly. If not, you need to change it, or the lines will be way too dark when printed.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    Larry, If you bring a V10 layout into X1, you have to change your "Line Weight Scale". V10 is set at 1= 1/600 of an Inch(Which is what's showing on your attachment). X1 uses a line weight scale of 1= 1/100 of a mm. You must change this for every V10 layout brought into X1. You should not bring over your layout template from 10 to X1, you should create a new one in X1. If you do so, It should set up your line weights properly. If not, you need to change it, or the lines will be way too dark when printed.
    Got it Allen - Thanks

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

"The layout I'm using is from X-1"

My mistake - new template plan for X1 but I used layout from v-10 (dumb) that worked fine, sort of w/adjustments, but noticed the dashed lines were exaggerated w/line scaling checked - the opposite effect for reason to use the scaling - recreated layout from within X1 and w/line scaling the dashed lines appear as on the monitor - - the importance of dashed lines spacing seems not an issue with CA because there really should be at least 5 degrees of dashed lines in the library or more (dashes only of the same size) - if they understood (appreciated) simple floor drafting, there importance or be able to create own, adequately explained in the manual and is my understanding if they are imported they can not be deleted once in the floor-plan?
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5