Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Temp Dims in x1.4

My Temp dims are snapping on the wall coverings instead of the main layers. Is there a setting for this? It started after I installed the new patch. Thanks. Bob .
    Bob
    X1

They did say there were now separate settings for temp dims. I can't find them either.

Anybody know where they are?
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Found it

Cad - Dimensions - Temporary Dimension Preferences

and... There's an icon you can put on your toolbar. It's under T
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Levin
    My Temp dims are snapping on the wall coverings instead of the main layers. Is there a setting for this? It started after I installed the new patch. Thanks. Bob .
    Temporary dimensions go from Dimension Layer to Dimension Layer "exterior side" for all objects except openings, which behave more like version 10.

The preferences are located on the Dimension menu under CAD, as Wendy pointed out.

The interface might seem a little "weird", but your choices are the same as those given in Dimension Defaults under the Locate tab for Walls.

Note, temp settings are kept with chief, not the plan. So, you can set it and not worry about others changing your settings when you pass plans around.

There's more information in the updated help.
    Sarah Mitchell

Note, temp settings are kept with chief, not the plan. So, you can set it and not worry about others changing your settings when you pass plans around.

Maybe, this should be a preference item ?

That's means each team member has to have the same settings or the dims will be different for each team member ? That could get confusing ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery

Maybe, this should be a preference item ?

That's means each team member has to have the same settings or the dims will be different for each team member ? That could get confusing ?

Lew
    Just temporary dimensions. Manual and Automatic dimension settings are still saved with the plan.
    Sarah Mitchell

I like that Sarah. Leave them just as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    I like that Sarah. Leave them just as they are.
    Thanks.

Given the options for temporary dimensions you've been given, are there any others people would like to have control over? I know reach and number size are two options that people would like.
    Sarah Mitchell

Related to dimensions, it would be nice to be able to change the dimension font size on a selective dimension in a string. For example making one dimension number smaller in the string for a congested spot in the plan.
    Jack Laughner
    European Influence LLC
    X1, X2

Sarah,

I'm happy with them just as they are. Good job.

My only suggestion is that the settings belong in Preferences, maybe as a subheading under Edit. I only found them because I knew from this forum that they existed and looked in help. I never in a million years would have found them in cad.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Sarah,

I'm happy with them just as they are. Good job.

My only suggestion is that the settings belong in Preferences, maybe as a subheading under Edit. I only found them because I knew from this forum that they existed and looked in help. I never in a million years would have found them in cad.
    Yeah. I thought about that one for a while. They probably will end up in Preferences later down the road after everyone is used to where they're at for now.
    Sarah Mitchell

hi sarah,

i have been "playing" with the new beaut temp dimension settings and can't for the life of me work out how to get a temp dimension string which picks up just the internal room surfaces--whatever combination of settings from the new temp dbx and/or the default locate to settings i select the string always goes to the external wall surface although it will select both surfaces of the internalwalls.

incidently i notice that in the wall layers dbx i cannot select the internal wall surface as the "dimension to this line", it always reverts to the external face of the internal leaf (when using multi layer walls).

hopefully it is user error and you will be able to tell me how i can make it work---hope!!

regards, brian wheatland

Sarah,

I would like an all internal temporary dimension. This is critical for as-builts which I do almost every day.

Could you please add this capability?
    Last edited by louis; 01-10-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Yes, it would be nice to click a tool and have each room with the cross room measurements (surface to surface) automatically placed.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Louis, I seem to get an internal temporary dimension, surface to surface. In the picture below, both the 2'-1" and the 11' 8-1/2" dimensions are temps. I also included a shot of my pref settings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp (Large).jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	20408  
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com