Thread: No Good Deed...

No Good Deed...

Apparently, the "One Symbol a Day" thread took a break today. So....I thought I'd do a small object just to fill the gap. Easy, right?

Sure, except I chose this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perfume Bottle.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	5337

The problem is that good render settings and good raytrace settings don't go together. Rendered, it's like this:

Name:	Perfume Bottle Render.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	5340

So...if anyone wants this thing, it's a bear to set up the materials to be happy. The glass has to have the "Transparency filters light" checked, or you don't get colored glass! Also, the color for the stopper is set MUCH more vivid (more saturation and lumenescence) than the color for the glass. Oh, and DON'T check that box for the stopper. Finally, I used a "grain" bump map hacked in Photoshop set at 1/16 x 1/16 and a bump height of 4 to get a frosted glass look - still a little coarse, but not too bad. Bump map:

Name:	Frosted.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	5338

and the object itself:

Perfume Bottle.zip

If anyone actually DOES use this thing, let me know how it transfers into Chief. I tweaked the materials a lot, and I suspect it just defaults to the nearest library materials, so the next person would need to mess with it all over again (I hope I'm wrong).

John S.

P.S. If Resident Guru Dean wants to chime in, I can always use a good tutoring...

Alan -

I just downloaded my zip, and it shows the .alb inside. What does it do on your end?

Within a Chief plan, I can select and place the bottle, yet the symbol library is a seemingly too-small file. I placed the DXF over at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAsymbols/files/

just in case. Also, I had another bathroom-type one:

Name:	Misc Bottle.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	5345

And zipped it into a library with the other one:

Containers.zip

But I still need to know how the first one didn't work. I even tried a DXF export from Chief of the perfume bottle symbol right now, and it exports fine, albeit with goofy Chief layer names.

John S.