Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jim:

Please post your opinion after you have looked it over.

Mine should arrive this week.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I also will be very interested in what this book would have to offer over the training cd's if someone who has both could tell us. Thanks
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

I have the book and it is informative and nicely layed out.

If you are interested then look over the table of contents on the ordering site and if you are not familiar with how to do those items then this book is for you.

I checked the section on stairs and it covers a number of styles/topics concerning stairs so it is not just a surface level book.

The teaching method is to start a house from scratch and apply each technique to that house so that by the end you have a complete house that you can then apply the presentation tools on and create a set of working drawings for that house. Very consistent, this is much better than using each tool/topic in isolation.

Each lesson is click-by-click, step-by-step and that is nice also.

If you are still new to how Chief works with most of these topics then this book is worth the cost of $59 + $10 S/H. Considering that the classroom training costs $695 to cover this same material and you can do it at your own pace.

There is an included CD that has all the plans for each section so you can check and see how yours is suppose to be as you build it, section by section. It also has the final set of working drawings.

I can highly recommend this book and can only hope that there is an advanced version coming that will delve even deeper into roofs and stairs and terrain and foundations and framing, etc.

I am taking the 3 day Intermediate class in March and I hope to work my way thru this book before then as much as possible, so I can absorb the nuiances the teacher imparts.

Nice job Star Training !!!

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew
    Is it a lot better than the training videos?
    Almost seems like the same list.
    But it would be good to have a companion book and the test house to do.
    Allen

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen:

It is not a replacement for the vids, it is not a comprehensive covering of all aspects of Chief. It can't be, Chief has too much depth.

It is a nice companion book to the vids and it's method of building a house to apply the tools step by step is very nice.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew
    Thanks,I ordered it ..
    Think I'm more than beginner,not sure if I'm intermediate yet.
    Thats the problem with being self taught(not counting all the help from here and the site tutorials)
    Good at somethings,no idea on others..jump around learning to much..Kind of have to though..
    Allen

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Being a self-taught programmer I have found the best way to learn a new computer language is to work on a real project. Having to solve the issues forces one to learn, and sometimes learn quick

I found it the same to be with Chief, I had Home Pro and then Chief 9.5 for over 6 months and couldn't find the time/inclination to tackle the learning curve. The builder gives us a project and I collected dims etc and was going to pass that data to my partner and voila next thing I know I've done 80% of the model and remodel, within 3 weeks time.

But like you I still have holes, some of them pretty deep, and am now trying to fill them in. This book will go along ways towards that, and I need to start watching the vids again (all of them,this time).

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I've been re watching the videos and the great tutorials at Louis/Kate's site as others.Now I know what is being talked about,I understand them much better.
    Hope I have her name spelled right,how do you write Louisessss site?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

It would be the possessive form: Louis's

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Thanks
    That's why I love the spell check..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Jim:

What is your opinion of this book ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I've been so busy with other things here, that I haven't had a chance to read much of it.
    I want to take some time to read it over before I post anything.
    I still believe it will be a great tool to use to learn things from, anyhow.....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

So you guys would recommend the seven training videos to go along with the book? I have heard the videos are excellent but that they miss some key steps in some of the different procedures. I don't know myself because I have not viewed them. I just wanted to get your opinions. I think that I am going to order the book as well. Thanks for all you guys help. I have highly recommended this site to the others in the training classes and told them to look specifically for you guys.
    Thanks again.
    Greg T.
    Framer and most of all PROUD AMERICAN!

The vids don't cover everything and the book doesn't cover everything, nor does the reference manual or help files. But they all help get up that learning curve easier than doing it without them.

There would have to be a whole series of books to cover everything that Chief can do.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    I have the book and it is informative and nicely layed out.

If you are interested then look over the table of contents on the ordering site and if you are not familiar with how to do those items then this book is for you.

I checked the section on stairs and it covers a number of styles/topics concerning stairs so it is not just a surface level book.

The teaching method is to start a house from scratch and apply each technique to that house so that by the end you have a complete house that you can then apply the presentation tools on and create a set of working drawings for that house. Very consistent, this is much better than using each tool/topic in isolation.

Each lesson is click-by-click, step-by-step and that is nice also.

If you are still new to how Chief works with most of these topics then this book is worth the cost of $59 + $10 S/H. Considering that the classroom training costs $695 to cover this same material and you can do it at your own pace.

There is an included CD that has all the plans for each section so you can check and see how yours is suppose to be as you build it, section by section. It also has the final set of working drawings.

I can highly recommend this book and can only hope that there is an advanced version coming that will delve even deeper into roofs and stairs and terrain and foundations and framing, etc.

I am taking the 3 day Intermediate class in March and I hope to work my way thru this book before then as much as possible, so I can absorb the nuiances the teacher imparts.

Nice job Star Training !!!

Lew
    Thanks! That means a lot I've been sweating the first review. There is a chance there will be an advanced book. I've got a list of potential topics taped up on the wall behind me. If you have any specific issues you'd like to see addressed shoot me an email or PM and I can make sure to stick them on the list.

Also feel free to contact us if you have any questions on the book as well.

Thanks again for compliments!

Mike
    webmaster@startraining.com