Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recessed Can Lights

Does anyone have a true recessed can light. One that sets up into the ceiling. Would it be possible to create one that automatically cuts the hole in the ceiling using Chief? Most every project i do includes lights like this.
    Thanks
    Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

...are you saying the default recessed light in the Chief library isn't what you're looking for?
    -Michael
    "A very novice wannabe architect."
    Need A Backdrop? Click Here!
    Chief Architect v9.5

1 ) The ones Chief has are not what i want.

2 ) So you say it is possible to do and will auto cut the ceiling hole when placed. I will start on it.

Thanks

Joel,

It won't auto cut but it will appear to if you can use a lense like the chief ones.

..or if you want it to truly have a hole you will need to use the platform hole on every light. The only limitation with the platform hole is that it must be 9 X 9 to show.
    Last edited by louis; 10-06-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Originally posted by louis
    Joel,

Make one.
    Louis,

How do you make a symbol that makes a hole in the ceiling? I think that is what is needed in this case. I don't "really" need a symbol like that, but it would be fun to have one.

Probably the ray-trace-for-realism folks would live one that looked real. It's a dead giveaway that it isn't a picture when you don't see recessed can lights.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Fitch,

Chief currently does not have a way to make a symbol that will cut the ceiling. The tool used to cut the ceiling is the platform hole. Like I said the platform hole has the limitation of the smallest hole is 9X9.

Originally posted by louis
    Fitch,

... the platform hole has the limitation of the smallest hole is 9X9.
    this is not the case...if left as rectangle it can be 8" x 8 1/8" ...BUT...if you make it a Triangle, then use the line to arc tool it can be at least a 1" diameter...but the main factor against using a platform hole, is if there is another floor above it cuts a hole not only in the ceiling, but right through the flooring above...another problem is that the hole in the sheetrock is much smaller, then what the framing needs to be for the can, and that size also can vary by manufacturer , type of can etc....

here is a picture of platform holes from 1"-6" diameter
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:19 AM.

I stand corrected 8 X 8 1/8

That is a creative way of getting the small round holes.

Thanks Tim!
    Last edited by louis; 10-06-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Louis and Tim,

How is it possible that you guys know these things? It is amazing to me that you have learned the ins and outs of the software as you have.

Thanks for helping some of us cheat on the test ... (I had "all of us", but I did not want to implicate those of you that ignore their information).

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Guys your getting closer to making it work. The trim kits i use are 7 1/2'' round. Unfortunatly i does not seem worth tring to create untill Chief makes a change to allow such a thing.
    Thanks all
    Joel
    A guy who wants a realistic recessed can light.

I'd love to have realistic ones, too. I have recessed cans (or Chief's current symbol that passes for one...) in almost every interior view I create. I'll stick a comment in the Suggestions forum if you haven't already.

Christina

I don't much care for recessed lighting myself.....up here where we heat much of the year, I just don't think they are a very good thing, to much of a pain to get insulated, venting around them in a cathedral ceiling is a problem, then all the heat they generate is trapped in the fixture,...just drive around here this morning and you can see who has them on...all the snow is gone above them ..when it could just as well be used in the room for warmth....(about 90% of their energy consumption is heat, so it may as well be used as such)

Any way...after a bit of thought...this morning I used a couple of molding p-lines to make a can, trim and bulb... put it in a platform hole added a light source...this is the result..not too hard (10-15 minutes initially), and if I wanted or needed a 3d view of them, I can make a symbol...or just open my test plan and copy>paste them from there...

Tim,
    How did you get CA to recognize it as a light and have it add the lighting/shadow effects since it was not a CA symbol and object?
    True can lighting is needed and used here in the southwest, every house has them, I guess 100-115 degrees isn't hot enough for us, we like it real hot! Good Job!
    Randy
    Randy
    V10.06a

Originally posted by dreamhomes
    Tim,
    How did you get CA to recognize it as a light and have it add the lighting/shadow effects since it was not a CA symbol and object?
    True can lighting is needed and used here in the southwest, every house has them, I guess 100-115 degrees isn't hot enough for us, we like it real hot! Good Job!
    Randy
    down there where you aircondition you don't want the heat in the room, so it may make a bit more sense

...the light source is just that...a light source independant of any fixture...you can add them as desired and set their attributes for type of light(point, spot, parallel), intensity, ht, etc...just as you can any light...

the tool is on the menu 3D>Add lights...this is the icon to add them