Hybrid View

You could also draw a framing member and change to a C CHANNEL or an I BEAM etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i beams.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	45883  
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

gee,

i really was having a moment, i never thought of simply using a framing member and changing it to c section!!!

allen thanks for the tip on enterring my shape into the libary. i have a question though, i tried that and was able to add it to the library but it was not accessable from the library as a molding. what am i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    You could also draw a framing member and change to a C CHANNEL or an I BEAM etc
    scott,
    how do we edit the material thickness of these converted framing members? the i beam for example seems way to thin!

Quote Originally Posted by adamjedgar View Post
    scott,
    how do we edit the material thickness of these converted framing members? the i beam for example seems way to thin!
    I do not know, I am assuming we can't. It appears that the cross sectional area is 1/4" ( or 0.635 cm or 6.35mm). Because of this I never use a steel I beam with thicker flanges and webs, thus I have used some very very deep I beams, just another limitation we need to deal with.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

ok.

another question,
    i have kind of gone a little farther with your idea of using framing members...i got a brainwave of sorts and decided to try to change the general framing tools dbx>wall tab-defaults for walls to c section.....er....what the ****....well i thought i would be able to at least.

since i cant seem to find an option to set the wall stud members as c section (you can for just about everything else in the same dbx but not walls for some reason), does this mean i have to individually select every single wall framing member in the framing 3d camera view and change it to c section?

Adam, you are going to stop throwing these softball questions at me, I am beginning to lose respect, give me something harder.

Answer: Use the steel wall types (should be there already.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STEEL FRAMING.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	45920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STEEL WALLS.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	45921  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

well there you go,
    cept in my program its not there! i dont have steel c section wall studs for some reason. id better go to the library and see whats up i think.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjedgar View Post
    well there you go,
    cept in my program its not there! i dont have steel c section wall studs for some reason. id better go to the library and see whats up i think.
    Maybe it came out in X3, I just don't know. I think I will do a video on this, particullarly if anybody wants a curved steel framed wall...... must delete top & bottom plates and use molding pline for top & bottom plates.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX