Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dimension like Revit

I own 2 license of chief and really love this software. I use Revit for most commercial work and I feel that their dimensioning tools are the best I have ever used. Also they have an "align"tool that works great. Chief needs these 2 tools. If I had never used Revit I may not know any difference, but those Revit tools are much better than chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnabb View Post
    ................... Also they have an "align"tool that works great. Chief needs these 2 tools...............
    What two tools are your referring to, and what do they do, info needed for CA to understand what you want.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

The align tool will let you select nearly anything with the first click and then the 2nd click (which you can also select just about anything)and it will move the item and align it exactly with the first item you selected. It will let you align walls to walls or cabinets to edges,etc. chief's pt.to pt. move is similar, but not as clean or as universal with the things you can align so cleanly.

The dimension tool is also a tool that will dimension nearly anything anyway. It's hard to type how it works, it's just a better tool than chief. I just got the 2 license of X5 and maybe these two items are better in X5, not sure. And it is very possible that chief can do these two things as well or better and I just have not discovered yet. Believe me, chief is my choice, but Revit has a few cool (slick) tools that I really like .

The align tool will let you select nearly anything with the first click and then the 2nd click (which you can also select just about anything)and it will move the item and align it exactly with the first item you selected. It will let you align walls to walls or cabinets to edges,etc. chief's pt.to pt. move is similar, but not as clean or as universal with the things you can align so cleanly.

I THINK I GET THIS, I WILL LET CA FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO. I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO ALIGN TWO SEPARATE DIMENSION STRINGS............ AS OF NOW, I DON'T THINK I CAN, CA, PLEASE MAKE IT SO, THANK YOU.

The dimension tool is also a tool that will dimension nearly anything anyway. It's hard to type how it works, it's just a better tool than chief. I just got the 2 license of X5 and maybe these two items are better in X5, not sure. And it is very possible that chief can do these two things as well or better and I just have not discovered yet. Believe me, chief is my choice, but Revit has a few cool (slick) tools that I really like .

YEP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT WITH THIS STATEMENT AND SO I AM ASSUMING CA DOES NOT EITHER. I HAVE SEEN HOW REVIT DIMENSIONS WORK, AND I HAVE NOT SEEN HOW THEY ARE BETTER........... BUT DON'T KNOW FOR SURE
    a response................................
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

It's not clear what align even means.
    Does it mean to match the rotation angle, align an edge vertically or horizontally, etc. More info needed.

You also need to be a bit clearer on what the dimensioning won't do.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    It's not clear what align even means.........

You also need to be a bit clearer on what the dimensioning won't do.
    Align in my case would mean (2) separate dimensions strings to align with each other and if possibly to join in one continuous dimension string. I sometimes create two strings separately but I may want them to meld into one string, at the very least to be in alignment.

And yes, I agree that to be clearer it is helpful to explain what CA does not do vs. what we want...... the clearer the request, the greater the chance of implementation
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

D Dot Scott,

I can tell you how to align dimension strings, but I don't think that you can merge them.

Say you have 2 horizontal dim strings that have different offsets from horizontal.
    Select both dim lines.
    On the Edit toolbar, select the second icon from the end (Align and/or Evenly Distribute The Selected Objects).
    In the Align/Distribute Objects dbx, check Mopve Objects Vertically to: Centers.
    OK.
    Done.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks, I will check it out in he AM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I'm pretty sure I know what you're looking for with the align tool, and we already have one. Its called the "align/distribute objects" tool. If you click on one object, and then hold the control key and click on another (and another, and another if you wish) it will show up. Try it out and see if that does what you're looking for.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know what you're looking for with the align tool, and we already have one. Its called the "align/distribute objects" tool.
    This tool works pretty well, but it could have been better. I was beta testing when it came out (in X3). I can't remember the programmer that was in charge of this feature, but I submitted feedback that is was a nice tool, but that the control of it was a little vague in some cases.

For example. If you select 2 polylines, and envoke the "align top edges" command, it will always pick the top-most edge of the selected items to align them to. In other programs with similar tools, the process is similar except that it will align the top edges to the object you selected first. Much better in that it is intuitive, and easy to align multiple objects to the edge of any object, I explained this to them. But, they responded that they could easily accomplish that, but didn't see the value in that extra control. Obviously, they only write the programming, and not use the tool in their work.

Unfortunately, I think this is the case with many of Chief's tools. So close, and then development to refine the tool stops because to the programmer, it is appears to be a done deal.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

I own 2 license of chief and really love this software. I use Revit for most commercial work and I feel that their dimensioning tools are the best I have ever used. Also they have an "align"tool that works great. Chief needs these 2 tools. If I had never used Revit I may not know any difference, but those Revit tools are much better than chiefs.
    Be very careful not to criticize Chief or the Choir will be upon you.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Unfortunately, I think this is the case with many of Chief's tools. So close, and then development to refine the tool stops because to the programmer, it is appears to be a done deal.

Ron:

nothing to criticise here

it's a true statement.....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    This tool works pretty well, but it could have been better. I was beta testing when it came out (in X3). I can't remember the programmer that was in charge of this feature, but I submitted feedback that is was a nice tool, but that the control of it was a little vague in some cases.

For example. If you select 2 polylines, and envoke the "align top edges" command, it will always pick the top-most edge of the selected items to align them to. In other programs with similar tools, the process is similar except that it will align the top edges to the object you selected first. Much better in that it is intuitive, and easy to align multiple objects to the edge of any object, I explained this to them. But, they responded that they could easily accomplish that, but didn't see the value in that extra control. Obviously, they only write the programming, and not use the tool in their work.

Dave,

There is another tool that will do what you want quite easily.

Select the lines you want to move.
    On the Edit toolbar, select the tool on the end (it really doesn't have a name - but I think it is Align to Line, not the Align and/or Evenly Distribute tool that you have been using).
    Select the other line that you want to align with.
    The Align to Line dbx will open.
    Under Alignment check Centers. OK.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Dave,

There is another tool that will do what you want quite easily.

Select the lines you want to move.
    On the Edit toolbar, select the tool on the end (it really doesn't have a name - but I think it is Align to Line, not the Align and/or Evenly Distribute tool that you have been using).
    Select the other line that you want to align with.
    The Align to Line dbx will open.
    Under Alignment check Centers. OK.
    Glenn, I was referring to objects as opposed to lines. Like polylines, and or text blocks, etc.
    _
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	56726  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    Glenn, I was referring to objects as opposed to lines. Like polylines, and or text blocks, etc.
    _
    I think you can do that. I believe you can alight the left edges, or right edges and I think they can be centered, I will double check in the am..
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX