Hybrid View

My take on this subject is that one should always intend to be a professional. Training in one's chosen field, whether an apprenticeship or formal classroom study or self-study is reasonable and expected.

I also believe that a piece of paper (diploma or license) does not ensure any real level of competence or talent, at best it shows that the bearer can answer questions on a test which is of course better than nothing or so it is hoped.

The most important factor is love or affinity for the artistic pursuit of one's profession, for helping others with one's creativity and skill. That affinity will propel one to learn what they need to know and to learn from their and others mistakes.

The largest impediment to learning and useful wisdom is the consideration that "one knows all there is to know, already."

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    My take on this subject is that one should always intend to be a professional. Training in one's chosen field, whether an apprenticeship or formal classroom study or self-study is reasonable and expected.

I also believe that a piece of paper (diploma or license) does not ensure any real level of competence or talent, at best it shows that the bearer can answer questions on a test which is of course better than nothing or so it is hoped.

The most important factor is love or affinity for the artistic pursuit of one's profession, for helping others with one's creativity and skill. That affinity will propel one to learn what they need to know and to learn from their and others mistakes.

The largest impediment to learning and useful wisdom is the consideration that "one knows all there is to know, already."

DJP

David....As usual, well said. I give it an Amen!
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670