Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park View Post
    To get the material list to work well requires a good knowledge of how to manipulate the program itself.
    ...... the material list has the potential of being a really great tool, if you can get through the complexity.
    I was going to stay out of this thread and perhaps some would like me too, BUT, I couldn't disagree more.

Chief's material list is NOT complex, it has a lot of pieces parts but is easily understood. The primary problem is that it is illogical and misapplied in several areas. In other areas, it is so badly limited as to be unworkable. Other functions are spread among several different methods, each of which are limited in different ways, making none practical. Chief needs to abandon the Hodge Podge approach.

Comments, as I am aware, have been flowing into Chief since this feature was introduced with little or no feedback from Chief. With such minimal acceptance and use of a major design aid, Chief should ask itself if it just missed the boat.

I frankly don't believe that radical changes are needed, just some "common sense" reorganization and consolidation to make this workable. But without some guidance from Chief on where they want to go on this and how much effort, I think another thousand different suggested directions would be futile.

We are back to the chicken/egg stuff. I suggest a on line dialog on a new specification for a reorganized material list -- probably to be developed and programed over several years. Chief's competition can do it, so its just a matter of will. The first step needs to be taken by Chief. This is a major black eye for Chief. (IMHO)
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Chief's material list is NOT complex,

Gerry:

you state this

but then you state this ???

it has a lot of pieces parts but is easily understood. The primary problem is that it is illogical and misapplied in several areas. In other areas, it is so badly limited as to be unworkable. Other functions are spread among several different methods, each of which are limited in different ways, making none practical. Chief needs to abandon the Hodge Podge approach.

sure sounds complex to me - based on your description ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    I was going to stay out of this thread and perhaps some would like me too, BUT, I couldn't disagree more.

Chief's material list is NOT complex, it has a lot of pieces parts but is easily understood. The primary problem is that it is illogical and misapplied in several areas. In other areas, it is so badly limited as to be unworkable. Other functions are spread among several different methods, each of which are limited in different ways, making none practical. Chief needs to abandon the Hodge Podge approach.

Comments, as I am aware, have been flowing into Chief since this feature was introduced with little or no feedback from Chief. With such minimal acceptance and use of a major design aid, Chief should ask itself if it just missed the boat.

I frankly don't believe that radical changes are needed, just some "common sense" reorganization and consolidation to make this workable. But without some guidance from Chief on where they want to go on this and how much effort, I think another thousand different suggested directions would be futile.

We are back to the chicken/egg stuff. I suggest a on line dialog on a new specification for a reorganized material list -- probably to be developed and programed over several years. Chief's competition can do it, so its just a matter of will. The first step needs to be taken by Chief. This is a major black eye for Chief. (IMHO)
    Gerry well said.

You just need a few updates or the ability to control the take off formulas.

I have made many suggestions about a better take off and estimating system all to no avail.

If you want to show off the program at a builders show, accurate estimating is a must and a priority.

The best take off system I have seen is VICO so far, that works with ArchiCAD & Revit.

But since I am just doing working drawings now I don't have the need for it now.
    Last edited by Justice; 03-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Manuel Trantalis.

1999 V6 to X5 2012.

Dell XPS 630i Q9400@2.66GHz,
    Twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT,
    8GB Ram, 64bit Windows 7 Pro.