Hiding specific objects?

Is there a way in Chief -like you can do in AutoCAD- to hide specific objects?

For example, I am doing an electrical plan and would only like to show dimensions for pot light spacing but obviously i can't have "automatic" dimensions on and when i turn on manual dimensions i get a lot popping up all over the plan that i need but don't want displayed on this particular plan.

Any help would rock

Version X3

Thanks!

Chaos

I would make a new layer for the objects I'd like to show and include it in the electrical layer set. I have created "Dimensions, Electrical" and "Dimensions, Framing" layers for that same purpose.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

This sounds like a job for CAPTAIN ANNOTATION SETS!
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

still not the most efficient way i've seen (AutoCAD really spoiled me for this) but yes that will work more than well enough.

Thanks, again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    still not the most efficient way i've seen (AutoCAD really spoiled me for this) but yes that will work more than well enough.

Thanks, again!!!
    I wonder how they could be any more efficient, put the object on a specific layer and listen to CAPTAIN ANNOTATION SETS, it will become second nature. I remember way back in the day, when I had to walk 15 miles in the snow in bare feet to get to my Chief Architect work station, and I remember what a hassle it was to deal with all of the layers and layer sets and the line styles and the line colors and the yadda yadda yadda, but believe me, after a bit of practice..... well you will just love it.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I wonder how they could be any more efficient, put the object on a specific layer and listen to CAPTAIN ANNOTATION SETS, it will become second nature. I remember way back in the day, when I had to walk 15 miles in the snow in bare feet to get to my Chief Architect work station, and I remember what a hassle it was to deal with all of the layers and layer sets and the line styles and the line colors and the yadda yadda yadda, but believe me, after a bit of practice..... well you will just love it.
    Scott,
    Hiding objects could be easy by right clicking the object and select "Hide". Quick and easy. SU has this function and so does Thea and other software.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1217 View Post
    Scott,
    Hiding objects could be easy by right clicking the object and select "Hide". Quick and easy. SU has this function and so does Thea and other software.
    If you did that would that hide the entire layer or just that one particular item?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

If you did that would that hide the entire layer or just that one particular item?
    Either in SU or Thea, when you click on an object it only hides that object.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pat1217 View Post
    Either in SU or Thea, when you click on an object it only hides that object.
    And how do you get it back? I am sure there is way..... would you switch layer sets so you could find it again..... I use anno sets alot and when I put something in plan I put it on a specific layer and depending on the layer set it is either visible or not visible. I do not mean to be argumentative, I am just trying to figure out how others use this.... suppose if you clicked on an object you could hide that layer, would that accomplish the same thing or is it always object specific?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

But, now that you mention it, I do remember from my ACAD days it was very handy to be able to turn off a layer by selecting an object on that layer. Maybe the functionality for both options is included?
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

And how do you get it back? I am sure there is way..... would you switch layer sets so you could find it again..... I use anno sets alot and when I put something in plan I put it on a specific layer and depending on the layer set it is either visible or not visible. I do not mean to be argumentative, I am just trying to figure out how others use this.... suppose if you clicked on an object you could hide that layer, would that accomplish the same thing or is it always object specific?
    There's usually a dropdown menu where it would say "unhide" or "show" and you have a choice of unhiding or 'showing' all you hid or the just the last object you hid.
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

There's a couple of ways that this could be programmed into Chief - the simplest IMO would be:

Objects could be reassigned to a "non-visible" layer and their ID & correct layer recorded in a "hidden" list.

There would then be some simple tool to "Un-hide" starting with the last item on the list which would reassign to the correct layer for that object. It's a classic stack-popping operation.

Of course, to un-hide all the program would simply cycle thru the entire list until it was empty.

Basically this is almost the same as how UNDO is handled in a program.

In my other drawing program, when we select something it "highlights" then we have the option to "hide active"; or to "hide non-active". After things are hidden to bring them back there is an icon that is labeled "show all"....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

AutoCAD still has the best way of this
    simply select the "hide objects" icon and begin left clicking. then right click once all are selected to hide them

layers can be turned off with the layer dialogue box and all can be turned back on with typing "layon" in the command prompt box

I wish Chief could adopt a similar system