Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Doski View Post
    Max, Why do you need a separate machines for web use vs. Cad?
    Gary, the key word here is "need" as opposed to prefer. I simply got very tired of the usual Anti-virus, spam, male-ware, Trojans, subscriptions, and everything else the industry has insisted we need in order to be "safe" from hackers and their ilk. All of this security nonsense can degrade a system's performance as you very well know.

So...My Chief machine has nothing. Literally. Just runs my apps and, never has a problem. It never needs updates either (turned off).

My Web machine handles the murky world of the bug and virus infested web! I don't care what happens and, interestingly enough nothing really ever has of any consequence. I did recently start using Microsoft's Anti virus software as it's free and really has no effect on performance.

Anyway, that's my preference.

Edited for added content:
    One thing to watch for soon if it isn't already happening. That's the tendency for software companies to "require" a web connection while using their software. I am seeing the tendency of the industry to move towards the so-called cloud computing platform where everything we run is located on the web rather than loaded on our personal machines. We will then no longer "own" anything we use and will be completely dependent on the web. Should be interesting to see how this trend will affect internet provider rates...