Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by saecurtis View Post
    Scott - Your files are on your hard drive under the "My Documents/Dropbox" folder. They take up physical space on your hard drive and actually reside on your local drive. If you disconnect from the internet and open a file under your My Documents/Dropbox, it will open and you can edit and save it.
    As soon as you connect to the internet, the file will update on the Dropbox cloud server and update the file on all the hard drives of the devices you are syncing under your Dropbox account.

Just like you have done, I have my entire working directory located in the Dropbox folder. I don't work from another folder and drag copies to the Dropbox folder for backup.

On the occasions where I meet a client at their house, generally, I don't connect to their network...so I have no internet access.
    I open their plan from within my Dropbox directory, I make their desired changes, save and close the plan and put my laptop in the bag.
    I drive to the office, take the laptop out and turn it on. At this point, my laptop automatically connects to my network and automatically syncs my Dropbox files.
    Now, when I go to my desktop computer and access the plan file, it is updated.

If I hadn't connected my laptop to my office network first, I wouldn't have access to the most recent version from my desktop computer.
    Thanks Steve, I think I finally get it. But it did occur to me since I have dropbox on my iPhone, are all those files now on my iPhone, 50+ gigs. I did not think my iphone was big enough to have that much stuff on it.

The point here is, I am relying on dropbox to provide back up for my files. Are these files on my two iMacs, my pc, my iPad, my iPhone and my MacBook Pro? Do I actually have 6 copies of these files spread over my 6 devices. It is starting to make sense to me now.

And if that is the case, aren't I completely backed up many times over?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall