Threaded View

Hello Preston,

You are in the right forum to ask this great question.

Yes, I believe that in the next 3 years you could work with Chief part time and become proficient enough to produce some drawings and then move on to the final stages.

Also, yes to your question regarding involving a professional Architect or Designer from the beginning. This will pay off both financially, psychologically and could save your marriage. No joke on the marriage. Building or remodeling a home is often one of the biggest challenges a relationship will face. I have done remodeling for a couple who were both therapists and they concurred.

Have you ever walked into a home and felt like you had just walked into a box with windows and moved from one box to the next? That was designed by a builder. Have you ever walked into a home and felt like your eye was guided where to look and the space welcomed you before exposing you to one surprise after the other as you flowed through the space? That was designed by an Architect.

This is not to say that you may not be a great designer and come up with a beautiful design with wonderful spaces. But, it is important to be honest with yourself. What is your design experience? Do you see well in 3d (without a computer aided model)? Is this a true passion or a cost savings (possibly a false notion) path?

I feel like these are the most important questions. Not whether you choose a $500 program or the legalities of stamping your drawings. And bear in mind, this is only my (rarely) humble opinion.

I wish you success with your project,
    Alan
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."