Hybrid View

Lew, Architecture school did not teach real life when I went. I had 6 year Architecture students working for me and I had to teach them very basic stuff. Life experience is king, there's nothing better, of course this argument goes on forever.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

I agree, everybody can learn from everybody

no can know "everything"

I would be just as interested in studying your CD's as I would an architects

would I put more "trust" in architects - ???

who knows - I've been know to go against the grain

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Lew, Architecture school did not teach real life when I went. I had 6 year Architecture students working for me and I had to teach them very basic stuff. Life experience is king, there's nothing better, of course this argument goes on forever.
    This only goes on because of people who think that knowing how to build equates to knowing how to design, or vice versa. Both abilities are essential.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Life experience is king, there's nothing better....
    ...... all i'm saying is my input is just as valid as yours.
    Apparently you don't see the irony here. "Real world" experience can also blind you to new and innovative design solutions. One of the main points of going to school is to immerse yourself in pure design for a while, learn the history of your profession, etc. before your creativity gets bogged down and you start thinking it's all been done and there is never anything new.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    Apparently you don't see the irony here. "Real world" experience can also blind you to new and innovative design solutions. One of the main points of going to school is to immerse yourself in pure design for a while, learn the history of your profession, etc. before your creativity gets bogged down and you start thinking it's all been done and there is never anything new.
    I started in the school of design at NCSU, And yes, It was exactly as you said, I was immersed in pure design for two years , but I found it lacking, I felt like something was missing, the science behind the creativity was void....

I transferred to engineering to learn the science behind the design, and yet there was still something missing, and that was real life experience.

I found that 'practical' creativity is best 'learned' from real life experiences gathered from the wealth of knowledge surrounding you. The people who use or build your designs are a valuable resource. There is a economic limit (in most cases) on what is creative vs. what is practical. It is a dilemma I was not taught in school.

My first job was with a large Power Utility as an engineer. I spent a month with a line crew, high school educated guys out there in the field implementing the 'designs' and 'procedures' we engineers provided. These guys were a resource that I learned quickly to respect and value.

Long story short, creativity alone is somewhat subjective (everyone has something to contribute, we just need to listen) the vast resources out there are immense, regardless of education level, regardless of background, put your education on hold and listen to the voices of 'real life experience'... we can all benefit! So I have to go with Perry's comment "Life experience is king!"

Bill

PS: My brother is battling Parkinson's disease and severe dementia associated with it. But sometimes he makes remarkable statements about life and how to live it that leave me totally dumbfounded and in awe...
    Bill Lynch
    CA X6 Beta
    Gateway LX6200-01
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core
    8 GB DDR2
    PNY 9800GT 1024MB nvidia video card
    750 GB HD SATA-300

Quote Originally Posted by sutcac View Post
    No it doesn't, that's just silly. hopefully everyone is always learning new design techniques, I still am. Where do you think these things up.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I wish we all could be as smart as you sir.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Perry,

I think that is true for any college program. Most graduates are of limited use in the real world until they gain experience.

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond