Threaded View

Back to Windows Server 2008....

Ozgur,
    After much experimenting, etc., etc....I am now in progress of installing Server 2008 to my web machine as well as my CAD machine. I have to tell you my biggest goal has been to try and setup a system as efficiently as possible and gain the very best possible from both of my machines in order to be able to run just about any software I care to without jumping on the upgrade train.

I find one thing interesting when dealing with software vendors during the current economic downturn; that being the unwillingness to keep new releases of software efficient enough to allow users to maintain the status quo on their current hardware! As it is now, most are pushing for their users to upgrade to the latest OS which then pushes users to upgrade their hardware to the latest versions. By the time most folks have done this there isn't enough money left to buy the software! Well Duh!

Anyway...Anything is possible, right?! So..I have experimented with many different combinations of software and have dbl checked that each of my current machines are as updated as they can be based on the motherboards they are built around. As it turns out this Windows Server 2008 may very well be the extra kick I needed! The OS runs every title I own without flaw and runs the latest version of Chief without a hitch. The control over the system is really incredible and seems to completely eliminate the various problems seemingly inherent with the standard Vista releases.

Much to learn about the server OS but right now I am focusing on bare bones in order to give the software the full benefit of my current hardware. One thing that jumps right out is the fact that Windows now has use of ALL 4 gigs of my memory rather than just 3 gigs. Nice. Anyway, still working with it so more will come as I know it....