Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    It doesn't really bother me too much (although as much framing as I've done over the years I think I have a pretty good idea of whats required without engineering stamps).
    Yeah, sure you do... There's nothing like years of cutting and nailing wood to give someone an accurate idea of how a structure will perform in an earthquake.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison View Post
    Yeah, sure you do... There's nothing like years of cutting and nailing wood to give someone an accurate idea of how a structure will perform in an earthquake.
    I just believe I've done enough of the same thing (off engineered plans) over and over again to know what is required. I'm sorry if I've offended you.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    This is a question that you will probably have to answer for yourself in the long run.

Actually working with an engineer in producing the documentation is a new ballgame with each engineer you will work with. You will have to learn how to adapt to the methods the engineer prefers to use.

The fact that you are learning how to use what to you is new technology goes a long way to answering your own question.

Some are more than fine with a napkin, others just want to provide enough detail to get the permit approved. Then there are those who strive to produce the best product, or service they can provide.

My bet is that a year from now you will be providing more detail drawings than you had previously imagined, and thinking of ways to do even more.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

since all of you guys are working for a CLIENT why in gods name dont you ask the client what they want?

most of my clients dont want the hassle of chasing up additonal engineering drawings and paperwork...if they did, i would not have been approached to do the work in the first place!

you guys argue about some of the dummest things these days!

if you are a project homebuilder, you have your answer already.
    if you are a small one man show, ask your concretor if he can build a foundation with "napkin foundation plans"

rcole,

Thank you! I'm taking it that in your experience it just varies. Being that I haven't been the one drawing the plans before I wasn't sure if most designers just hand over the layout and elevations, or draw up all the details too.

I have a particular client right now who I'm doing an addition for. I included the design work in my fixed price. The engineering I included as a variable allowance item. I didn't foresee all the areas where the two would overlap each other, and I'm in position now where I just don't want to take advantage of the situation. I also don't want to do more design and layout work then is typically done by a designer.

Thanks again for any input.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I'm assuming most of you guys are either designers, or builders (not architects or engineers or you would be using AutoDesk products).

This is not a good assumption....

There are many architects and engineers who use chief

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    I'm assuming most of you guys are either designers, or builders (not architects or engineers or you would be using AutoDesk products).

This is not a good assumption....

There are many architects and engineers who use chief

Lew
    I stand corrected. Please accept my apologies. My thinking has been swayed by Autodesk users and resellers.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430