frode is offline Registered User Promoted

Dimension Question

How can i draw a "Aligned Dimensjon" inside chief?

I can't get chief to snap from one corner to another corner (diagonal).

And how can i use the elevation view to dimensjon "the correct" building layers?

I have set celing hight to 2441mm (bottom of trusses) and lowered celing hight to 2400mm (finish room hight) (trusses is framed down with 30x36mm and celing plates are 11mm).

Same goes for floor layers, but here i can use subfloor thickness. But can't find any option for celing.

Is it just me that thinks that Cheif is really bad on manual dimensjon? By all means Chief is a good software, but the strengt in all CAD tools should be accurat dimensjon!
    Or is this just me who hasn't had enought time testing the demo?
    Learning the Demo Version

Frode..
    I think a lot of what you want to do can be done using CAD lines.
    To dimension a room diagonally, draw a CAD line from corner to corner and then draw two more CAD lines at 90 degrees to the first. Snap the second two lines centres to each end of the first line. Now dimension between the two end lines and make the dimension line parrallel with the first line. Now delete the first line and set the length of the two end lines to 10mm so they're not too visible.

In elevation view dimensions will snap to top and bottom of floor platform and to the bottom of the ceiling platform (2400mm) but they won't snap to the underside of the bottom chord of the truss. To dimension to this, draw a horizontal CAD line and open its "line specification" DBX. Check the "length/angle" button and set either of the "y" co-ordinates to 2441. This will put the line exactly on the underside of the truss and you can dimension to it.

Maybe there's an easier way but I don't know it yet.

Warwick

Maybe a better way could be to:
    Before drawing internal walls, make a blank room polyline, then just move polyline corners out to the layer you wish to dimensjon.
    Now i can get the aligned dimensjon drawn, (with angle snap off).

But doesn't Chief snap to exterial layer on "aligned dimesjon" when it snaps to that point on normal dimensjon!?

Maybe the need of another cad tool like Autocad LT would be best , when it comes to elevation? Since it only takes 5-10min to draw a compleate elevation in Autocad.

Come to think of it! When drawing in cad in chief, lines connects. How can i go in and just delete one of the lines? when i try, it only deletes all the lines.

Turn on edit poly-line parts.

Ahh... That easy!

Thanks!

Is there something that easy one the aligned dimensjon too?