Custom artwork image on a wall

Long ago I saw a method described here about how to create a custom painting on a wall. I want to take a digital picture of a painting in a clients real house, and be able to place it on a wall of a floor plan.

I am using 9.5 base.

This might be what your looking for It was something Dermot posted:

First, copy the JPG file into your "My Textures" folder.

If you are using V9.54, this texture will show up in the Library Browser next time you start Chief or if you use the Refresh Library Browser tool. You can then create a new material (3D>Materials>Define Materials) and select the new texture while in the Define Material dialog.

In V10, the procedure is slightly different. Materials are now stored in the library to make it easier to use them in different plans. So instead of creating a new material in your plan, you should create it in the library. Just right click on the My Materials folder in the library browser and then select New>Material from the menu.

One thing to remember, the material with your new texture will only look as good as the texture you use. If you are taking digital photos, it is important to get a good image to begin with with nice even lighting. You should then open the image in a photo editing program and crop the image to something like 256x256 or 512x512 pixels. Most digital cameras will take very large resolution pictures that are too big to use effectively in Chief. This ususally works very well for pictures of materials without too much of a pattern (or at least a random one like carpet or stucco). Woodgrain is probably one of the hardest materials to make look good.

Here's a "Rembrandt" of my dog Mick and his little buddy:

Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

You just wanted to post a piture of your dogs..lol
    Allen Colburn

Nothing like a good boating dog! Do you get much weather warm enough for humans to ski in RI?

Allen
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

This is New England(RI)Used to be" if you dont like the weather.wait a minute."
    All sumer it was nice and sunny,no rain,to dry,now it has been raining for over a week,things are flooding.last night 2"-7"in places.
    But they say sun tomorrow.
    We have great summers most of the time.I like quiet boats,sailing and windsurfing more than skiing.
    Allen C.

cool site
    Last edited by Allen42acj; 10-15-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Ok, after reading the manual (before I posted this question), I took a digital pic and converted it to a .png file and copied it to the images directory. Or should I have left it as a .jpg?

But now, how do I put it on the wall? I was thinking of using the stock image of a mirror and using my picture in place of the glass. That way my picture would have a frame. But that didn't work.

My Pitbulls

These two have teeth
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

It's quite simple. Take any image and put it in the appropriate folder so you can access it within Chief. In version 9.5 I think it's the Textures folder, but I'm not sure.

Choose a frame, a mirror, or frankly anything, and assign it the texture of your image. Choose "Stretch to Fit" instead of a ratio. As long as your image is close to the same ratio of the item you're assigning it, it won't look distorted. If not, you'll have to edit your image's ratio to closely resmemble the item to which you're assigning it.

This is how you put an image on a TV, or fire in a fireplace, or your client's artwork on the walls. Once you do it, you'll be a whiz.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Thanks Adam. That worked ... sort of. I tried following the incredibly brief instructions in the manual, and they are worthless. So I copied the file to the "my textures" folder like you said, and then redefined the mirror that I had placed on the wall. Worked well. But ... I looked at the other mirrors in the plan, and now they all have the same image. How can I make just one mirror show the picture?

Hehe. You wouldn't be the first to do that. Apparently you edited that texture, glass, or whatever it was, to carry your new image. You need to create a new texture and give it a unique name. That way only the particular item to which you're assigning it will carry that texture. I hope that's clear. It's late on a Saturday, and I shouldn't even be working, so my mind isn't all that clear. If you don't understand, just post again and I'll walk you through it. Obviously you're almost there.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

I did this a couple of years ago, but I think it was version 9. The fire and the Titans on TV were both done as described. Assigning those items took minutes.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Save your digital photo as a jpg and stick it in your MyTextures folder. (I'm using 10 now, but I'm thinking back to 9.5... might be a little different) You might need to Refresh the Library. Then go to Create Materials under 3D/Materials. Under the Texture tab, you can give it a name, then using the Browse button, get to your file in MyTextures. Then as Adam said, hit "stretch to fit" so it won't tile. Now it should be listed in your plan materials list. Then you can stick one of the mirrors or paintings on the wall. Then select it and under materials tab click on mirror or painting and then click the Plan Material button and select your newly created material from the list. Now it should only appear in that particular mirror. (I use jpgs for textures/materials and pngs for images.)

Christina