Transparent Soffits??

I have drawn a plan that has a tile roof and stone walls, when I take a low res 3d view, it looks fine. When I take a render 3d view, the gutter boards are translucent from above, but the roof tiles show at the overhang. When I look from below the level of the sofits, everything is translucent (soffits, gutter board, roof tiles at overhang). Also, I cannot create a Pov Ray picture of the exterior of this house. Even when I set all 3 settings at the lowest res/fastest settings, I had it proccessing all night and it still was at 4% complete this morning.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Allen Brown
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

picture attempt

Lets se if I can use what Dermott just taught me, to show the problem I'm talking about. The picture is abit small, so you may not be able to see it, but if I put soffit lights in the soffits, they apear to hang in mid air.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 10-11-2005 at 05:11 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

bigger picture attempt

trying again:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

the obvious question is what is the transparency setting of the soffit/fascia material?...the roof tiles from below are ignored as a roof's surface is assumed to be the top plane...so that is not a problem...if the soffits and fascia are not transparent

Got it, but it was odd.

Called tech services, emailed them the plan, John Jones noticed that the gutter/soffit/gutter board were all selected as bone in the mtrls DBX, but the bone showing was "whiter than white", so we re-selected bone in each of those areas, and they were no longer transparent.

As far as the second problem that I was having(not being able to create a ray trace, even at the fastest settings), I noticed that in the render view, the window sashes were all transparent also. So I went in and changed them individualy from the "bad bone" also, and I can now create a ray trace. I'm feeling pretty proud of my quazi-computer-skills at this point, because tech services could not figure out today why I could not ray trace. I will have to let them know tomorrow.

Allen
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

You should feel proud. It's not everyday that a Hoosier outsmarts an Idahoan.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6