sorka is offline Registered User Promoted

Chief scams on ebay....

So I really really want a copy of 10.0.

There are quite a few illegitimate offerings on ebay. One guy keeps selling copy after copy of Chief 10.0 Full non student edition for $500 with USB key. This is obviously a student version even though the seller won't respond to questions and has lousy feedback. A number of others have been selling copies of 10.0 that are also student versions but won't tell you unless you ask. One guy got scammed $695 on student version and didn't think to ask. After the auction closed, I forward the sellers email disclosing this to the winning bidder. Unfortunately, it wasn't in time and he'd already sent paypal losing his money. He's trying to get PayPal to cover it.

Every now and then, a real legitimate single primary non student non multiple license actually being auctioned off by the license holder comes up. I just missed one that closed a few days ago for a full 8.0 for $505. He's providing the transfer form to the buyer who will pay the $50 fee. That's quite a savings on 10.0 if they upgrade.

Is Cheif Architect doing anything to crack down on the illegal copies like the ones that just come on CD with a software license or those that keep selling student copies as regular copies?

I won't buy an illegal copy because what I really want is to buy a license so that I can keep upgrading it to the latest version but I just can't afford $2K to get started.

I apologize in advance if I've discussed anything that isn't allowed. It just peeves me that so many people are getting taken advantage of on ebay by thinking their purchasing a legite copy.

Chief Architect has very little control over what happens on Ebay but we do try to report illegal activities when we bceome aware of them. Some, but not all, Chief Architect programs that are being sold on Ebay are illegal versions. Some of these may be student versions that are not transferable or versions that have already been upgraded. Some may actually be "hacked" versions that may not work properly (or at all). Before purchasing any Chief Architect products on Ebay, I highly recommend that you verify that this is legal version and that it is upgradeable.

Legitimate Student Versions are much cheaper then what you would find available on Ebay but these are only avialable to full-time students who are enrolled in an approved program. If you need more information about student versions, please contact the Chief Architect Sales department.

If price is the main reason that you are looking to purchase on Ebay, you may also want to consider purchasing Chief Architect Base or Home Designer Pro, both of which are considerably less expensive then Chief Architect Full.

P.S. For everyone resonding to this request for information, please try and keep your posts professional.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Great answer Dermont
    We users dont need you guys spending your time patroling ebay.
    You have enough to do to keep direct customers happy.
    Have a good day !
    Joel