Dimensioning: Is there way...

Hi

I was working on a plan where I had defined a wall based on SIP panels. The wall def had 5 layers: Siding, OSB, Foam, OSB, Sheetrock. I set in the wall def to dimension/build to the outer OSB layer and the Foam as the main layer.

When trying to add some dimensions I could not get CA 10.05 to snap to any given layer. It would snap to the outer OSB layer, main layer, the inner surface, the outer surface. I could not get it to snap to the inner OSB layer. It would jump from the main layer to the inner surface.

I tried all the dimensions options in all sorts of configurations but nogo.

To get the dimensions I needed I redid the wall def to 3 layers: Siding, SIP and Sheetrock but I was hoping to include all the physical layers. Call me crazy.

Am I doing something wrong or does CA simply not support dimensioning to any layer?

And why was I unable to set, in the wall def, the dimension to layer to any layer that was interior to the main layer?

Thanks.
    Regards, Frederick C. Wilt (Began with v9, now using X6 aka v16)

I'm going to take a guess here, but it sounds like you just need to go under dimension defaults and click the locate objects tab and check the wall dimension layer button, which makes CA dimension to the layer you've set, or it should, that worked for me.
    Hope this helps.

Donnie

Hi

I wanted to do that but CA won't let me set any layer that is interior to the main layer as the dimension-to layer.

I don't understand why this restriction exists.

dimensions

This may not be what you are hoping for, but can you draw a cad line where your layer is and measure to the line? You can then select the line, click on the dimension to define, then move the wall to that point.

Allen
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Hi

Drawing CAD lines is what I ended up doing but I don't think we should have to. ART needs to come up with a scheme where we can EASYILY dimension to any layer.

Thanks

Dimensioning

I recently had a similar problem with a conventionally framed wall. I wanted the main layer to be the outside of the ext. sheathing (over 2 x 6 framing) because the contractor for the project planned to line his ext. sheathing up with the outside of the foundation. When I built the interior walls, the wall lines shot all the way through to the outside (don't remember which exact layer ) which I didn't want. Called tech support and was told that CA likes to have framing as the main layer because that's the way they build around C'dA Idaho. My solution was to change the framing to the main layer and tell the contractor he'd have to adjust his dimensions (didn't like that option but that's what I did). In reality, do you really need to show all those layers in plan? The only place it really makes sense to show them is in a wall section where you can add CAD lines or boxes to show the wall's assembly. If you are plotting your plan views at 1/4", having all those individual layers doesn't really show up that well (unless your plotter is a lot better than mine - which it probably is). So, anymore, I keep my wall layers to a minimum to avoid things like walls shooting through to the (a) outside layer. For example, I am working on a SIP plan now and define the outside walls (the SIP walls) with two lines (one on I.S, one on O.S.), with the O.S. line being the main layer. This way the interior walls stop at the inside of the exterior walls rather than shooting through. When the Owner/Builder orders his SIPs he doesn't order them by individual pieces (OSB & EPS) - he orders them as pre-made wall sections. My 2 cents worth.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Hi

I would have to agree that despite CA having the ability to define wall types with all sorts of detail, when it comes to using a wall type, fewer layers seems to be better.

With a 3 layer wall I was able to get the dimensions to work out but CA still seems to have a mind of its own when finding layers.

Thanks

I think I have had the same problem as I have been using SIP as an exterior wall.

I found that the only way to dimension properlsy is to make my wall poche with ONE layer as SIP (skin to skin) with siding and interior as the remaining layers.

That way I can make the SIP panel as the outer layer for dimensioning.

There is not much reason that I can think of for identifying the EPS core as a separate layer, expecially since it does not appear as a 3D framing item.

Best.

Richard Leader