Thread: Terrain Curious

Terrain Curious

I have been watching the posts about terrain modeling for quite some time. I have tried it a coupel times with not to good results.
    I am curious as to know if any of you have worked with the terrain builder in the Microsoft game 'Age of Empires'?
    My son (13) showed me how to create scenarios a couple years ago (3 or 4), using the terrain tools. Well I'll tell you I was quite blown away. The ability to form rivers, marshes, hills, big hills, farms, rock out croppings, abrupt cliffs, lakes, oceans---the list goes on. Also with the ability to select a host of textures.
    My question is---do you think it would be possible to get this easy type of terrain modeling in our program?
    How hard could it be? There is this function on other games we have too. Do you think the developers of this technology would share?

There would be a lot less problems, I think, if this were possible.

One other Note

I forgot to mention that you can also select pre-built scenes for a jump start.
    There is also the ability to select terrain locations, ie. Artic (snow), Desert (sand),
    Forest (lots of trees), Coastal ( combination of terrain locations) and Plain ( flatland).

Wouldn't it be nice to start aout with a flat piece of land and with the click of the mouse, instantly build your terrain visually & instantly before your eyes.

Am I dreaming for the impossible?
    Or could this be a reality for us?