Thread: Molding

Molding

I created molding profiles in Autocad and imported them into CA, and all went well till I created an elevation view. I noticed all the Tessalations lines are present from the use of many , many poly lines in order to create the profile I needed. Is there a way to remove them or turn them off within CA. I hate to think I need to redrw them in some other fashion. If needed, to see wht I'm referring to, I will attach a copy of the DXF file I'm using.

Thanks,
    Doug

Doug,

I can't find "Tessalation" in the dictionary. Would you mind deffining it so I get the idea about what you are talking about please? Do you have the molding turned to the "Inside"? Check and see.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Doug:

One other question: Are you creating 3D molding Symbols or are you importing 2D molding profiles to use with the "Molding Polyline" tools?
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

AdamF is offline Registered User Promoted
    Originally posted by David J. Potter
    Doug,

I can't find "Tessalation" in the dictionary.
    DJP
    You aren't likely to find it with that spelling and may not find it anyway -- outside of a math dictionary

Gee, I was hoping someone with a better understanding of higher math would handle this one. I guess not, so here's a lame attempt with a few comments.

The tessellation process connects polygons. There are times when a mesh can have a hole in it where one should not exist. Translate this to mean bad tessellation. With good tessellation one thing that can go wrong is the polygons are too big and can't be smoothed properly. On the other hand a good tessellation can have too many polygons and slow Chief to a crawl.

Tessellation algorithms create smoothing. You see the smoothing effect most often when you render a curved _mesh_ surface. Apparently, he is seeing the 3dFace lines or the mesh lines and something displeases him in one or more of the views.

Without the file he said he would upload I don't think we will know exactly what he meant.

AF

Tessalation lines

Thanks AF, I couldn't have explained it better.....and yes your right, I only see them in certain views, I draw the profiles in Acad...cause I'm alot quicker and more familir with that (15 yrs)...then I import them into CA and save them as molding profiles. I don't mide seeing them as much as I mind the fact that they print......and create a big fat black line around doors and windows. I used to design router bits & profiles and not all profiles can be drawn correctly with simple archs etc. So I need to use sometimes many many poly's, hence the Tessalation line...I guess I 'll live with it.

Thanks all,
    Doug

If you create a molding profile with lots of little line segments, Chief will create a surface for each line segment when it extrudes the molding profile along a molding line. If the relative angles between the surfaces are small, then Chief will not draw a line to deliniate the surfaces. If the angle is large enough, then Chief will draw a line.

You may need to zoom in really close to your polyline that you have created as your molding profile and take a look at the line segments. If they are "jagged", so that the angles between them are noticeable, you will see lines in your elevation views. You should be able to smooth these out to make this less of a problem. You might be able to use arcs or splines to get them smoother.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I have attached an image showing a molding profile with lots of little line segments along with an elevation view but with only a few lines being drawn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com