Threaded View

Smile Thanks so much, everyone.

Thanks so much everyone. THe link someone gave to a similar thread (though from last year) was insightful; though I couldn't exactly follow all the technical computer talk completely, it was a very sharing it. Reading through all these cad related posts (here and on a revit forum) have left me feeling like architecture has really become quite a different profession. Now, not only do you need to understand construction and how to design a building, (as if that wasn't difficult enough), you now also need to be a bit of a computer engineer! Just reading the technical info on autocad and revit is a bit overwhelming. (I just wish the price was reversed and Chief was the cheapest!)

Irish--thanks for the specific info. That is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure what they mean by "families"--I assumed it meant objects. It sounds like they have lots of outside sources to import from. Autodesk has a free "homestyler" home design program that lets you design online and then import the "families" into Revit. I guess that RevitLT is so new there is confusion about what it can and can't do. I saw several different features charts online that were a bit different from each other--I think they may have made a few changes from the initial or just made corrections to the chart, maybe?

I posted a similar question on a revit users forum (asking for comparisons of the two programs) and one user said this :

"..Chief (10) worked like sketchup layout, you model the building in a file and put linked images on sheets in the layout file. Updating on the layout sheets is a simple manual process.
    In an alteration I'd have two models, existing and proposed which had various views linked to the layout file.
    Unfortunately there is no demo function. Clearly showing the extent of work meant hatching demolished area and items in plan, elevation etc and keeping track of that throughout the project. Extremely irritating."

Has this improved on version x5? I imagine I would be doing lots of remodeling projects involving some demo (assuming I'm lucky enough to get some work, LOL).

Thanks again.