RTaps is offline Registered User Promoted

hopefully this should be an easy to answer question.

I'm brand new to Chief Architect. I've used Vectorworks, Autocad and also Framecad Pro and Detailer extensively. I am wanting to do 2D drawings in Chief Architect and want to put the CAD tool bar on the screen but am having trouble in doing so. Can anyone help me attach tool bars to the screen so I don't have to go to the drop down menu everytime.

You can also just select (left-click on) the CAD toolbar configuration icon and a display of CAD tools will then appear. I looked for a video about custom toolbar construction but did not find one. I have an appointment now but that is probably what you want but try the suggestion I made first to see if that meets your needs.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I made a custom toolbar with all the cad tools.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Thanks for the replies. I might need to clarify exactly what I'm after. I can get into the CAD tools on the drop down menu's at the top of my screen, that's not a problem. What I want to do is pin the entire CAD 2D menu to the edge of my working space so I can just click on a button on the screen for a command rather than going into the menu every time and looking for the command I want. In Vectorworks I can do this by right clicking on the work space, and clicking on the tool bar I wanted on the screen, it would put a tick beside it and then the entire tool bar would be pinned on the drawing and could be moved around. Does this make sense? Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by RTaps View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I might need to clarify exactly what I'm after. I can get into the CAD tools on the drop down menu's at the top of my screen, that's not a problem. What I want to do is pin the entire CAD 2D menu to the edge of my working space so I can just click on a button on the screen for a command rather than going into the menu every time and looking for the command I want. In Vectorworks I can do this by right clicking on the work space, and clicking on the tool bar I wanted on the screen, it would put a tick beside it and then the entire tool bar would be pinned on the drawing and could be moved around. Does this make sense? Thanx
    I will offer a suggestion that will make it super easy for you. Learn to use the HotKeys, and here is a set of videos. Easy Peasy.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ght=VIDEOS+DSH
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

A thousand words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toolbars.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	56808  
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Assuming that you are using Chief Architect Premier, there are several easy ways to get what you want (all mentioned in the posts above but I will repeat them here for clarity):

- You can switch to the CAD toolbar configuration (see picture below). When done, you can then switch back to the Default toolbar configuration.

- You can customize your toolbar to add the CAD tools that you want to your default toolbar configuration (see picture in previous reply).

- You can use hotkeys to access each of the CAD tools without modifying your toolbars. There are only a few CAD hotkeys setup by default but you can customize the hotkeys to include any tools you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cad config toolbar.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	56809
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I've been using hotkeys. When I switch to the CAD toolbar configuration I'm not sure what I'm doing, therefore I don't get the desired result.

Quote Originally Posted by RTaps View Post
    I've been using hotkeys. When I switch to the CAD toolbar configuration I'm not sure what I'm doing, therefore I don't get the desired result.
    You should watch the hotkey videos, then there would be no question. I essentially ignore the tool bars in most cases because I am using hotkeys more and more. As CA says, hotkeys can replace the need for tool bars if you set them up correctly. BTW, I did not realize it, but my tool bars jump around as others have stated, but it does not bother me because I use them less and less due to using hotkeys.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall