Hybrid View

Scott,
    You've got all the facts you need; as does Chief Architect. They have acknowledged this problem & are hard at work as we speak trying to solve it. (along w/ linking anno sets to layout views, I suppose)
    It is NOT user error; unless you consider not disabling all snaps except angle snaps prior to the task user error.........or having to zoom in so far you can't do much else until you back out. This behavoir has been present for a few versions now. It has been submitted multiple x's at all stages of development. What is needed is an ORTHO LOCK where the angle of the selected object does not change.....period! Right, Brad?
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign View Post
    What is needed is an ORTHO LOCK where the angle of the selected object does not change.....period! Right, Brad?
    Jim, you must know that a simple ORTHO LOCK, like hold the space bar and drag in either the x or y direction is impossible to program. There can be no other reason that it is not a part of Chief.

Oh, and congrats, Grandpa!!
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Easy Peasy, thanks for the consice re-explanation Jim! You hit the nail on the head. Archicad does it with the control key but I think it should be a default mouse function and the control key should be used to unlock it for free angling.

Like I said, an additional angle snap option of 45(or 22.5d) degree angle snaps added to the 7.5 and 15 degree snap angle options might be usefull in drawing plans.

Scott you caught some of the point of my rant regarding the drawing of short roof segments so that the roof edge doesn't jump out of parallel to the wall. Wouldn't the typical desire and behavior be for Chief to create a roof base line parallel to the wall you are trying to bear on? Seems like it should be more difficult to get off of parallel than to stay parallel in this instance. But it's also an issue when drawing walls and cad lines etc, especially when in heavy graphic traffic on a busy drawing (yeah, I know-layer sets can help).

We never had this snapping issue in prior to X-versions so why would Chief allow the program to progress in such a regressive manor? I know that you and some of the other "smart" users are "grudgingly content" with coming up with intelligent and creative workarounds and we certainly enjoy the input and aid. I also like it when you take your lips away from Chief's arse and throw a stone or two. Plus, if I ever get in the San Diego area again (last time 1980something), I'd dig buying you an overpriced brew or two and having a real conversation.
    Drawing shorter roof segments works but is a PITA and productivity inhibitor, drawing shorter dimension strings because of the same issue is even more of a PITA and the same with cad lines. Constantly adjusting snapping properties is rediculously irritating and sometimes still doesn't get you where you need to be.

I've been guilty (lazy) over the years of not properly getting into and learning a lot of the program but when some logic in the program is so intuitive and user friendly (basic drawing of walls, cad, dimensions etc) and then other items like terrain and the weird arse way of trying to figure out which is what with positive or negative numbers for terrain elevations-what the___!!!

Walls are way too snap happy regarding creating proper wall intersections. Can you draw a 1.5" long wall? I can build a 1.5"long wood frame wall so why can't I draw it? Chief seriously needs to allow the user to decide how one wall meets another and create an easy and logical way to make this happen. Better get back to drawin' and cussin' before my client's git to fussin'-BB

S
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz View Post
    Walls are way too snap happy regarding creating proper wall intersections. Can you draw a 1.5" long wall? I can build a 1.5"long wood frame wall so why can't I draw it? Chief seriously needs to allow the user to decide how one wall meets another and create an easy and logical way to make this happen. Better get back to drawin' and cussin' before my client's git to fussin'-BB
    S
    I rekon these off ortho problems are caused by solely by your snap settings.
    I think Chief comes standard with all snaps on, which is way overkill.
    I also rekon that grid snaps are the worst offender and don't use it for that reason.
    It is not hard to toggle snaps off if all you want is angle snaps.

Brad,
    Whats the problem with drawing a short wall length.
    I just tried and had no trouble drawing a wall 10mm long - I just tried again and can even get it down to 1mm long.
    Once again, I rekon that this is caused by your grid snap setting.

Post a plan that demonstrates the problems you are having.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Guess I missed that one Glenn. Just drew a 3/4" long wall. -Sorry Chief. But sometimes a wall will snap to a nearby wall(a wall that you don't want to snap to and you can't turn that off that tendency). In those close proximity instances you can't adjust the wall easily. I'll have to post it the next time it happens because I don't even understand my explanation on this one.

Regarding the snap issue, I rarely if ever have grid snaps turned on even though the main folk at Chief recommend turning the snap grid on. Funny thing, with the snap grid turned on, I can't snap a wall, point or anything to the grid, even using point to point. Maybe I'm missing something here, because when I actually tried using the snap grid , I couldn't get anything to snap to the grids. These were the snap grids, not the reference grids. Also, I don't suppose anyone's had any issues with leader arrows jumping askew on occaission because you've moved a wall or object near or away from the item the arrow was pointing to in plan? thanks, BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    I rekon these off ortho problems are caused by solely by your snap settings.
    I think Chief comes standard with all snaps on, which is way overkill.
    I also rekon that grid snaps are the worst offender and don't use it for that reason.
    It is not hard to toggle snaps off if all you want is angle snaps.

Brad,
    Whats the problem with drawing a short wall length.
    I just tried and had no trouble drawing a wall 10mm long - I just tried again and can even get it down to 1mm long.
    Once again, I rekon that this is caused by your grid snap setting.

Post a plan that demonstrates the problems you are having.
    Glenn(two "n"s just like my favorite underrecognized guitarist Glenn Phillips from Atlanta),
    if you turn off all snaps but the "angle snaps" then what is the roof baseline going to snap to?
    Guess I'll need to experiment but constantly toggling back & forth to get the proper snaps and all the zooming gets to be a PainInTheArse(i hate abreviations like LOL etc).-BB
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 12-07-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Off to Breakfast back around 11

Brad,

I wasn't advocating having all snaps turned off all the time.
    I was advocating being selective with your snaps and only having some of them turned on all of the time.
    The only snap you really need to draw a roof plane is On Object.
    Although I would normally use On Object and Angle Snaps (which I leave on by default) to draw a roof plane.

I have the Object Snaps (and hence all it's child snap tools) on my tool bar for quick snap toggling.
    The main Object Snap icon overides the operation of all the other object snaps.

By default, I have the following snaps toggled on most of the time and I can recall the last time I had something askew.
    Angle Snaps
    Object Snaps with only Enpoint and On Object Active

Isn't it weird that users ask for all these enhancements and tools, greater options, more alternate settings, but then they complain that the program is not user friendly, too complicated, doesn't work properly, incorrect OOB settings....
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post

Isn't it weird that users ask for all these enhancements and tools, greater options, more alternate settings, but then they complain that the program is not user friendly, too complicated, doesn't work properly, incorrect OOB settings....
    hmmmm, good observation. And many times don't even realize the tool we want is already there, but that's okay, that is how we learn, by asking questions.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall