Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    I downloaded a perspective detail (.dwg). It opens fine with Other CAD, but not so much with Chief.

I tried a few different settings at import, with the same result.

What is the secret with these?
    Did you use the import tool to bring them into Chief?
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Did you use the import tool to bring them into Chief?
    Yes; Is there any other way?
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

With X5 we'll be able to import PDF's. That should be much easier for that kind of details. Almost every mfr has PDF's.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I guess what I'm also trying to do is give my clients more "perceived bang for the buck". If I could put together 3 or 4 generic isometrics in addition to my individual details, then it would look better. I'd have one full house frame iso for a crawlspace, a slab house, a cellar house, and different ones for gables, gambrels, and hips.

As far as the individual Simpson details forthe towns.......when we first switched to the 110/120 MPH code for the WFCM and International Code, my local official was the toughest plans examiner around (Islip Town in NY, Long Island). He has since left, but I worked with him for a few months perfecting details. A few of which became standards for the Town. They are MORE detailed than those from Simpson, showing dimensioned lengths that the straps have to extend down the face of studs, or around cantilevered floor joists, etc... So those are what my contractors follow. Again, the isometric is just eye candy for the clients.

This eye candy idea is what made moriginally turn from Vectorworks to Chief. Cheif gives much better prelimianry design line elevations with all the roofing and siding hatches without ANY extra work. I also THOUGHT I could add basic quantity and budget take offs to every job for the client until I learned that Chief's estimating portion is severely lacking and appears the programmers haven't worked on it for years and years. Very sad.
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD
    16 gb Corsair Vengence LP ram
    Corsair 750w power
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
    2 Westinghouse 26" monitors

Laptop - Asus G75VW-BBK5
    17.3"
    i7 2.3 ghz w/8 gb
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2 gb

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    With X5 we'll be able to import PDF's. That should be much easier for that kind of details. Almost every mfr has PDF's.
    VERY nice new feature in X5. Will use that a lot!
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

I'm saw something like this, but with the strap drawn in, and called out by stock number. I'll work on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PbisoBig.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	54048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house_framing_diagram.gif 
Views:	88 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	54049  
    Edward Koenig - R.A.
    Carmelhill Architects
    Nesconset, NY
    www.CARMELHILL.com
    Chief X5

Office Full ATX tower
    i7-4770K 3.5 ghz
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 motherboard
    EVGA Geforce GTX 780 3g
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    250 gb Samsung Evo SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar HDD
    16 gb Corsair Vengence LP ram
    Corsair 750w power
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
    2 Westinghouse 26" monitors

Laptop - Asus G75VW-BBK5
    17.3"
    i7 2.3 ghz w/8 gb
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2 gb

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    Yes; Is there any other way?
    I don't know but I am not having a problem like you are, maybe its a setting in the import.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I don't know but I am not having a problem like you are, maybe its a setting in the import.
    I figured it out. I have "show arc centers" on, and there seem to be hundreds of them on that detail. The drawing is there, but buried.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    In addition to what Joe mentioned about X5 being able to import manufacturers PDF's. I have been working on ways to create PDF drawings of a model that can convey a much greater level of detail than is possible, or at least practical currently.

Sometimes I do small projects that are more detail oriented outside Chief entirely. Other times I will take advantage of the more powerful solid modeling features in another application, and import specialized symbols into Chief.

The attached pic was done outside Chief and printed as a PDF. This model was only completed in order to calculate a BOM and get the owners approval. I just threw the dimensions in to test out printing to a PDF.

What this illustrates is that Chief will have the ability to import PDF drawings that inclued such features as hidden line renderings with dimensions and potentially even hidden lines as dashed, however I have not tested that yet.
    The dimensions shown are actually oriented on a 3D workplane, not just text on the layout sheet.

This may be getting off topic a bit, but it seems like a topic worth looking into. If anyone can point me in the direction of where to get better educated on the use of PDF's I would appreciate it.

I am curious as to whether there should be another thread started on PDF's, or is this still on topic? What brought this to mind was seeing the pics that were attached to Ed's post.

Note: The pic is a JPG, just to make it easier to view, and I could not find the original PDF. The original PDF is very clean. Chief should get a gold star for this one.

Edit: How I would see using this is to export the elements that were automatically generated in Chief, such as framing objects, out as a 3DS file. From this point it would be possible to add the detailing in an application that may be better suited to certain tasks, and then print those details to a PDF file and place it in Chief.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Deck with Dimensions 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	54053  
    Last edited by rcole; 08-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Rod,

I think the ability to import PDF's will open a lot of creative doorways as most any software will print to PDF. I think Chief's X5 real world ability to import PDF's and any limitations CA X5 imposes (if any) will be the limiting factor.

I'm really looking forward to the added feature because so many graphical and image type operations are so much easier (for me) to do outside of CA. Having the ability to work in software designed for certain tasks CA is not, then being able to import that effort into CA should be a real boon. Makes CA that much better IMO.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic