Thread: stair openings

stair openings

hi there just wondering if anyone can help me on opening the stairs up i can place them where i need them and i do what the book says but i just cant seem to open the stairwell up it wont do it for me any help would be appreciated

Jarvis Cocker

Go to the Second Floor put railings or invisable walls or a combination so as to be able to open the Room Spicification Box and name the space open to below. You should then see your stair opening.

Ron

------------------
    Ronald Ravenscroft, AIA
    RONALD RAVENSCROFT, ARCHITECT PA
    Pettingill Hill
    Lyndeboro, NH 03082

Rebuild floors/ceilings

------------------

Don is offline Registered User Promoted
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I have the island stairs, but even after connecting to an exterior wall and rebuilding flrs/clgs I still can't see the stairs. Any other suggestions? Looks like a bug to me.

Jarvis:

You may be experiencing the same problem I had a while back. If your staircase is in the middle of the house and not connected to any exterior walls, affectionately referred to as an "island room", CA won't remove the floor in this room, even if it is named "Open to Below" and floors & ceilings are rebuilt.

The cure for this annoyance is to connect this "island room" to one of the exterior walls of the house with an invisible wall, rebuild floors/ceilings and you should have what you want.

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

Don:

The wall connecting the "island room" surrounding the Open to Below space must be a room definition wall to work. It can be visible or invisible, locate or non-locate, but must be a room definition (no room def UNCHECKED in Wall Specification dbx). It can even be a beam or retained attic wall, as long as it defines a room.

It's not a bug if you can get it to do what you want. Sorry I forgot this critical part of the solution above, but, prior to your comment I wasn't aware that the room definition characteristic had any effect on the desired outcome. Only after some experimentation, did I discover its importance.

Hope this works for you.

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN