Thread: Symbol 2D Block

lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Symbol 2D Block

I made a symbol of a stair tread with cove. I set the origin where the red arrow is pointing. When I click on the symbol in the library to load it into my plan my pointer centers in the middle of the symbol's 2D cad block and once I "snap" it to where I want my symbol (black arrow) the 2D cad block does not line up like the actual symbol in the render view. Is it possible to adjust the position of the 2D block so it positions the same in plan view as it does in render view?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAIR TREAD RENDER.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	46270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAIR TREAD 2D BLOCK.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	46271  
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Hi Larry,

This is just one of many ways that Chief's 2D fails to match the 3D. I know of no way to adjust the 2D Block origin to match the 3D origin. If at all possible, it's best at this time to keep the 3D Origin at 0,0,0. Ideally, Chief would have 2D Block origins so that the drag/drop point matched the 3D Symbol origin. This is pretty typical in other CAD software.

BTW, if you leave the origin at 0,0,0 you can use Pt-to-Pt move to accurately place the 2D Block and the 3D Symbol will then be where you want it. The only exceptions that make sense for non-standard origins is when you are relying on placement relative to a wall and need to offset by the "Y-size" such as with a "Doorway" Symbol.

Joe--Yes, i returned my origin to 0,0,0 then moved it manually after i installed the symbol in my plan. I'm far from a programmer, but it seems that it would not be that big of a problem to get to origins to match up. It might take a few hours of programming but you wouldn't think it would take days. Oh well, if the wheel doesn't squeak no one needs to grease it. It has probably been in the suggestion before but I'll do it again, or wasn't it "mentioned" awhile back that they (CA gurus) don't really pay attention to this kind of stuff anyway. Thanks for the info. Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry,

Using the "Open Symbol" dialog you can regenerate the 2-D block on the 2-D block tab (sometimes that works).

Or you can draw a new CAD block in your plan, giving it a name you can easily remember and then again within the "Open Symbol" dialog you can replace the existing 2-D block with the one you make.

When you get it the way you like it you then replace the copy in the Library Browser with the corrected one.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Here is an idea you might try. Have not done it myself, but it might work for you.

Find the CAD block in your plan file that is for your tread. What you want to do is INSERT a copy of that CAD block in your plan so you can do some magic with it. Do that and explode (unblock) the CAD block.

From your preferred insertion point, find the farthest point in your symbol 2D CAD in any direction: plus or minus X, and plus or minus Y. Draw a square that captures that far point or line, with the middle of the square at the preferred insertion point. Edit the polyline square so its lineweight is 1 and its color is white.

Now select your new 2D, including this square you just drew, and block it. This is your new 2D block for your symbol, so you edit the symbol to link this new block to it.

You may have to reset your origin in your symbol to get it to place the 3D symbol correctly, but at least your 2D planview block can be placed using its center, and your insertion point will match what you need.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

AFLAC! AFLAC! Blublubluggggaaaaaaaa

Gene- I think your idea would work. A PITA, but it should work. Now that we possibility have a work-a-round CA will ignore another suggestion. When/if I get time today I'll play around with your idea. For now, to move along, I did what Joe recommended and made my origins 0,0,0 and corrected the position after installing the symbol. Thanks to all for the "Think Tank" session.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670