Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sill vs no sill

Scott,

I have had similar problems with ICF walls and windows, but only some windows. Those that are bugging me now are in a clerestory wall, set at a high level relative to the 1st story floor (second story room is "Open Below" and windows were placed after this designation). There are similar windows directly below with about 30" of wall between them, and the upper windows show the gaps like in your jpegs. Not the bottom windows though.

So maybe part of the key is the thick walls. Have not had any other window problems with ICF walls though.

Have you sent this in to tech support?

Mark Powell
    Attwater Consulting
    Systems Engineering, Project Management, Risk Assessment, and New Business Acquisition

Chief X1 - X5, i7-920 (Quad Core 2.67GHz), Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 9GB Memory, 1TB HD, nvidia Geforce GTX 260-1.87GB

Mark, Based on your reply you either did not understand my posts or you decided not to read them, and you now expect me to repeat what I have so carefully written.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

Is Brian in tech support?

My intent was to point out that some of this gap phenomenon is not unique to windows in CMU walls, it happens in ICF walls sometimes as well (even without any copying from a framed wall). The idea was that maybe the thickness of the wall had something to do with it, or perhaps that concrete was used. I have no clue, but if I were debugging this window gap problem, I would want to know all the ways it could happen.

No repeat expected nor desired of your posts, I was just sharing an experience with a similar problem that coupled with your descriptions might lead to a fix. Just trying to help and commisserate.

Mark Powell
    Attwater Consulting
    Systems Engineering, Project Management, Risk Assessment, and New Business Acquisition

Chief X1 - X5, i7-920 (Quad Core 2.67GHz), Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 9GB Memory, 1TB HD, nvidia Geforce GTX 260-1.87GB

Scott. I didn't read the whole post.......

Speaking as a framer - not a Chiefer....when I install a window in a CMU or concrete wall in reality - there will be no exterior sill...I frame the CMU opening with treated 2x or 1x or 5/4 material and install the window almost like a replacement window....

However, if there is furring/sheathing/studding on the exterior of the CMU - then we set the window in from the outside just as we would on a standard framed wall with the nailing flanges on the exterior sheathing - and thus you can "recess" the window to the 'main layer, framing layer, sheathing layer"....and thus have an exterior sill. (and J to run the siding up to).

What I am saying is - Chief is doing this right...on a masonry/concrete wall you won't have an exterior sill and you can't recess the window because there is only one layer.
    Chris Fenstermaker
    Selah Design Services
    Building Design
    Lebanon, PA
    Using Chief since 1997

SDS on Facebook
    Find me on facebook

Live Healthier, Live Greener

As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19

Mark, Brian is in tech support. Chris, try reading the entire post and see if you change your mind.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott.

Well....you changed the discussion part-way through from sills to gaps. I've never seen that gap issue...that's just weird. Even when copying/moving windows from frame walls to CMU I haven't seen gaps. Is there a specification setting in the gaped windows that is on or off that is opposite in the un-gaped windows? I can't even create those gaps in my plans.

But - as far as the exterior sill is concerned on a CMU wall - I'm standing my ground.

And, in reality, on a window that is in CMU/Concrete/IFC etc wall...in reality wouldn't have any interior casing or sill until there is an interior frame wall with it.
    Last edited by SDS Chris; 12-29-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Chris Fenstermaker
    Selah Design Services
    Building Design
    Lebanon, PA
    Using Chief since 1997

SDS on Facebook
    Find me on facebook

Live Healthier, Live Greener

As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19

Scott,

Have you gotten any response from Tech Support (Brian or others) on the window/CMU/concrette gap phenomenon?

By the way, and don't get the big head, but I actually search for your posts (and believe it or not, read them carefully, not so much to avoid wasting your time, but to learn from your trial and error instead of doing it myself).

HNY, and don't reinjure yourself tonight dancing.

Mark Powell
    Attwater Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by attwater View Post
    Scott,

Have you gotten any response from Tech Support (Brian or others) on the window/CMU/concrette gap phenomenon?

By the way, and don't get the big head, but I actually search for your posts (and believe it or not, read them carefully, not so much to avoid wasting your time, but to learn from your trial and error instead of doing it myself).

HNY, and don't reinjure yourself tonight dancing.

Mark Powell
    Yeah, I know, sorry about that, obviously I needed an attitude adjustment that day. And no, I have not heard from tech. I rarely hear back from them about any issues I send in. In fact the only time I hear back is when it is my error and they are pointing me in the right direction, so I am assuming it is an issue and they are working on it.

I think the ankle is feeling better already thanks to CA, so I suspect I will be cutting the rug tonite.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Hi,

I got the attached error using the original version of Pro 10 and now I see it is still happening with the updated copy. 10" CMU.

The work-a-round was to copy windows and doors from a short section of wall that was separate from the main model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casing_error.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	44773  
    Gord C

Ontario, Canada

Designer
    www.crowhurstdesign.ca

Home Designer Pro 8, 9, 10, 2012, & X3 Trial
    PC (Custom) - Windows XP
    Monitor (1) SyncMaster 2333 (2) SyncMaster 2233
    Laptop - Windows XP Pro Lenovo 3000 G530 4446-38U Notebook 3GB 2.10GHz

Building Code Identification Numbers 36172 & 40767 Qualifications: "Legal" "House" "Small Buildings"

"Keep it simple, not simpler."
    Albert Einstein