Thread: Floor Trusses

Floor Trusses

The is no option in the 'Structure Tab' which causes problems with the walls when you are planning to use a top cord mounting truss foe the floor. Has anyone come up with a work around for this?

I end up using an interior model, a differemt exterior model and draw cross sections manualy in CAD.

Sager Notebook
    XP Pro 32bit
    Intel Core2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz
    NVADIA GeForce 9800M GT
    Memory 2 Gig

Quote Originally Posted by jeperry View Post
    The is no option in the 'Structure Tab' which causes problems with the walls when you are planning to use a top cord mounting truss foe the floor. Has anyone come up with a work around for this?

I end up using an interior model, a differemt exterior model and draw cross sections manualy in CAD.

Sager Notebook
    XP Pro 32bit
    Intel Core2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz
    NVADIA GeForce 9800M GT
    Memory 2 Gig
    I have not tried this but.....

Set your floor assembly at 2-1/2" (depth of 2x4 truss top chord and 1" of plywood, this will also define the top of your top plates) then put a ceiling plane in about 12" below f.f. (this should define bottom chord of truss), now try to build your floor trusses.

Good Luck!
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I am glad David knows what you are asking about because I sure don't.
    I am sorry and don't mean to seem dense but but I didn't understand the post at all and I re-read it a few times.
    Could you elaborate a bit more?
    Thank you.
    Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Quote Originally Posted by carpenterguy View Post
    I am glad David knows what you are asking about because I sure don't.
    I am sorry and don't mean to seem dense but but I didn't understand the post at all and I re-read it a few times.
    Could you elaborate a bit more?
    Thank you.
    Andy.
    I believe he wants floor trusses that are top chord bearing in lieu of bottom chord bearing. Therefore the bearing walls would need to frame up to underside of a floor truss top chord vs. stopping at truss bottom chord.

Since the walls frame to the underside of a floor assembly, by defining the floor assembly as I have suggested (2-1/2" thick) , the walls should frame up past what will be defined as the ceiling via the sloped ceiling tool (I forgot to say to alter the ceiling pitch to a zero pitch which will then define the bottom chords of the trusses).

Disclaimer: I have not tried this yet, but it seems to make sense.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I have not tried this but.....

Set your floor assembly at 2-1/2" (depth of 2x4 truss top chord and 1" of plywood, this will also define the top of your top plates) then put a ceiling plane in about 12" below f.f. (this should define bottom chord of truss), now try to build your floor trusses.

Good Luck!
    Well, that does not work.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Ceiling planes not part of equation.
    Define floor assem. as shthg depth plus fj depth
    Build floor joist to interior face of wall
    In elevation view drag walls to underside of top plate or underside of floor shthg.
    done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor trusses.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	41499  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I'd like to thank you all for solving the problem.

Default Settings:
    Framing: 1st tab
    Subfloor for Floor 2: Joist Width and Depth are the values of the top cord of the truss.

Floor 1 Defaults: Ceiling height is set to the distance from the floor to bottom of the top cord. (In this case 12')

Room DB Lowered Ceiling is set (9')

Exterior Walls come out correctly and the 2nd floor is also correct.

The BOM will require little adjustment to correct for interior stud length.

I will post the finished Xsect and a couple of renderings in a week or so. I haven't tried it before but will make adjustments to the interior framing to allow for the truss and see if the BOM records them.

I only used Xsections done in CAD and not the Auto Xsect of the software. It doesn't take that long and looks better.

Thanks again.