Thread: Duplex

Duplex

I'm drawing a duplex and i've drawn one half and would like to draw the other half as a mirror image of the first half. In autocad this was real easy and i bet there's a way to do it in chief. I would also like to just copy and move the whole plan over as another option. Anybody have any ideas on how i could do this?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Ben,

Use edit area to select one half and copy drag to one side. Then draw a cad line, edit area new copy and reflect about the line by clicking on the line. Then pull a dimension, edit area again and move into position with the move object input dbx.

Sam

Maybe someday the replicate object will be available for edit area? V.10 perhaps?

thanks that did it, yeah replicate objects would be a nice feature for edit area. Thanks again
    ben

Draw a cad line that would represent the hinge point (at the side of the drawing): edit area, copy, reflect about line (one step) and your done.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

you can make this easier...first, right click just ouside of the unit, click "make room polyline" on the edit toolbar...this makes a pline around the perimeter of your unit.. draw a short cad line snapped to the corner of the common wall edge (or to the center of the wall if the units are not seperated by the usually required double fire wall)...select the pline, with the pline selected, click the edit area tool...your p-line will now become the edit area (this is very useful for editting non-rectangular entities) with the pline now the edit area, on the edit toolbar clcick the copy button, then without leaving the edit toolbar, click the "reflect about line" tool...clcik on your cad line...viola...copied AND flipped ...use the join wall tool to connect the flipped section walls to the existing one's

Ben and Tim,

Thank you, as usual, for sharing! I learn something everyday by visiting the board. Today, I learned several something’s!

Sam

I've been reading about the edit area feature since these posts and there's alot i didn't know. Thanks for your help! Edit area is a much more powerful feature than i thought and look forward to being able to use it more. thanks again.
    Ben