Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tim O'Donnell

I tried the link, it did not work. It sends me to a page to become a member. I don't want to become a member because the yahoo group sends me "billions" of e-mails every 10 minutes or so! I hate that. Is there any other way for me to review the files?
    Jeffrey M. Housley
    AIBD Professional Building Designer
    JMH Designs
    (301) 997-0255 Fax: (301) 997-0253
    [size=2][color=blue]Click here to visit JMH DESIGNS website[/color]
    [/size]

E-Mail me at:[color=blue]JMH@jmhdesigns.com[/color]

I've been building these here in San Antonio for 30 years but I have the valley (Span 11'-1") at the inside corner of the 45 deg. wall. This will give a varied overhang width on the varied pitch roof section but just keep the fascia height the same. This requires less calculating as you can just start roofs 5 & 6 at the corner. You will have to add a little angle at the valley from the plate line to the fascia but in Chief just break and join the roof planes. Framers and roofers will have no trouble.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

I would like to see a drawing of your description. I'm not sure we are comparing apples to apples. The only true way to mathematically calculate a true Arizona Hip is what I have described above according to the experts (Mitek Truss Engineering, Alpine Truss Engineering and Truswal Systems). I would love to know of another way to calculate this darn hip! Post a diagram of your calculations so I can compare it to mine. Heck, maybe there is 2 ways to skin a cat!
    Jeffrey M. Housley
    AIBD Professional Building Designer
    JMH Designs
    (301) 997-0255 Fax: (301) 997-0253
    [size=2][color=blue]Click here to visit JMH DESIGNS website[/color]
    [/size]

E-Mail me at:[color=blue]JMH@jmhdesigns.com[/color]

Here is the way I build them. I hope attachments are working.

These would be much easier if you could lock two radio buttons in the roof dialog box and force Chief to calculate the third measurement.

Well no attachment.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

Very helpful info, everyone - and great diagrams. This is when I'm so glad I'm doing this on the computer and not trying to create this out of cardboard with a glue gun! Hooray for the computer age!

Christina

Hmmm...

Jeff,

Thank you for the information. I was able to follow it and get a bay roof built. I too ran into a problem though. The valley between roof plane 1 and roof plane 5 drive down through the angled wall upon which it sits. It I take a camera view from inside the room I see the roof valley cutting through the ceiling.

It seems to me that you must have the valley pass over the intersection of the main wall and the angled wall.

You suggested moving the wall height in an elevation view but that does not correct the problem I am seeing. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    LaVor Haynie
    lavor@designsbylavor.com

This is how I have designed and built them before. Just an aerial view but maybe a picture will help.

Not sure how to send picture from my computer.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 03-14-2004 at 08:37 PM.

To place a picture in your post you need to use the IMG syntax. It is accessable in the Post Reply web page as a button in the vB Code section. The help link in the vB Code section gives you all of the information needed.

You must have a domain location (static ip address) to place the picture and then the IMG command syntax will create a link to the picture within your post.

Hope this helps.