Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes thats how I would do it in real life plus frame the shaft for rock. I wish chief could do it automatically for the Docs.

Dean
    Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa_jones
    I don't know of any jurisdiction that allows a builder to use trusses that were not designed and stamped by an engineer.
    I've never had a truss stamped by an engineer. The truss company designs them, a service included in the cost of the truss. They will come out, do final measurements, and then do the final design and fab. They are great to work with. When anything special is required the builder and I visit them and we work together to figure out the best way to design the framing. The truss designer will frequently make small suggestions that will reduce cost, sometimes quite a bit.

The truss company can provide a stamp if it is ever required. So far, that hasn't happened.

That's in rural PA. In california, where I used to live, they stop just short of requiring a stamp on bookshelves.

So, if the plan calls for a skylight, the truss engineer will have to work around it.
    The truss folks are really good at this sort of thing.

Stair wells into attic truss spaces, sky lights, masonry fireplace chimney - all of these require special consideration. None of them are particularely difficult, but they will increase cost, sometimes significantly.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by frwillia
    I've never had a truss stamped by an engineer. The truss company designs them, a service included in the cost of the truss.

The truss company can provide a stamp if it is ever required. So far, that hasn't happened.
    Fitch
    Here in BC (Canada) a set of truss plans must bear the stamp of a P. Eng. before the permit is issued. Most truss manufacturers have an in house engineer, usually he/she owns the factory. One or two factories outsource the engineering to a local engineer who specializes in trusses.

Because we deal with significant snow loads, you can't build a roof in our area without engineered trusses. The building codes have rafter tables, but if you want to frame your roof, you better have a building inspector that owes you some favors.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Adam, what kind of trusses are you trying to draw? I've had this error message pop up when I was trying to draw an attic truss and had some of my room definitions wrong in the attic area.
    Leslie Sapp
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified Roofing Contractor
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ver. X5 Build15.2.0.87x64
    http://www.lesliesapp.com
    homes@lesliesapp.com

Leslie, it's strange behavior. All the room defs are correct; no attic trusses. Bizarrely (is that a word?), often after several failed attempts to draw trusses in a particular area, suddenly they will appear. It's as if CA then realizes, "Oh yeah, that is a roof plane!"
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

One reason I've not had this trouble around skylights is that I place the trusses first, to the spacing required for the skyight (or chimney or other roof penetration). The truss engineer then designs the truss to carry the load of whatever span is there.
    It helps if you as the designer have a general idea of what is possible as far as truss spacing and span, to keep you from designing something that can't be built, but the truss engineer is going to tell you what that truss has to be.

If I recall, I also got that message when the ceiling height in the attic was higher than the height of the truss. In other words, 97 1/8" default room height, but the truss is only 80" from bottom chord to peak. If there is an attic space defined, try lowering the ceiling height.
    I have not played with trusses much in X2, so I have not run into it yet
    Leslie Sapp
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified Roofing Contractor
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ver. X5 Build15.2.0.87x64
    http://www.lesliesapp.com
    homes@lesliesapp.com