Thread: Roof Crash

Roof Crash

I'm having a problem with a roof that I have developed. Used the auto roof generator and when I tried to edit the roof manually it crashed when doing a overview. The roof is in the form of a "L" shape but the included angle is 135 degrees. I'm using the 2/17/00 patch and was wondering if anyone else may have had problems with the roofs. Any sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave,

Did you get the crash while editing the roofs or specifically when you tried to view the manual changes you made?

Crashes of this type are caused by improperly closed poly-line roof sections and junctures and sometimes by unconnected walls (crashes when you try to view the model in 3-D with these anomalies still in place)

I rarely get these due to the experience you get in noticing them before the fact and correcting them in plan view (after the hundredth time even I notice what not to do).

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

Dave,
    Sometime ago I had a similiar crash in V6 because I had a very small area that was created when I had three intersecting walls, one of which was at a 30 degree offset. Tech Support found it after systematically deleting sections of the plan and then viewing 3d overview. The explanation I got was that even though the walls were closed into a polyline, the small triangular space created by the wall intersection was causing the crash only in 3d. Try zooming in on any angled wall intersections and see if a small triangular space exists. If so, tighten/adjust to remove, save, rebuild walls and ceilings, build roofs, save and then go to the full overview. If that doesn't work, try deleting sections of the plan and generate the overview. If it generates a 3d full overview, you have likely deleted the problem causing the crash.

------------------
    Mike Holmes
    Holmes Construction
    http://www.holmesconstruction.com

Mike,

I have never had the occasion to create a junction of walls in a triangle (it just never came up), so I suppose that is why I haven't had the phenomena, thanks for the tip!

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

Mike:
    Thank you and Dave for the response to my problem. The roof system on this plan has more ODW(off da wall) angles can't imagine how chief can figure it out the way it has. I had to do some adjusting but it seems to be working O.K. now. Did have to go into the plan and tighten up some of the angled wall intersections.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.