Thread: Roof Line

Roof Line

- For a second facial I use a converted gutter but for a squared roof line the first board (gutter) is plumb - have to redo each corner - any other way to have double facial raked roof line?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RL  11-30  A.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	28022  
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm just guessing, and am a newbie, besides, so consider the source.

If a gutter, in essence, is just a molding run to all of a roof's horizontal sections of its p'line, cannot you create the stepped fascia you want as a molding shape, then run it as your "gutter?"

A sketch is attached.

Name:	Noname.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	28023  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

cannot you create the stepped fascia you want as a molding shape, then run it as your "gutter?"
    Yes you can. I do that alot..just don't have a sample with me right now....go figure
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

- The problem is it is a rake return - the gutter (trim) has not an option for square cut or run at an angle.....that I am aware of, am still working on it.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Mike,

You can draw any "gutter" profile you want.
    Draw what you want, save it as a Molding to the library.
    In the roof defaults dbx, assign the "gutter" molding as the gutter.
    Or select your gutter (display and unlock the Roofs, Gutter layer first), and then change the Molding on the Molding tab.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glenn - thanks, I have done that but the problem is the roof line is a rake return and the gutter (trim - 2nd fascia) has no option for rake return/set angle and remains vertical to the ground....
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Mike,

Are you drawing your trim Molding at the angle you want, or are you drawing it vetically?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Good question - have it vertical - will try 7/12 - if the gutter allows for it - just need to get back to it....
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Mike, I tried drawing a p'line at the angle required for getting a molding on the roof edge. It worked OK.

I learned here that you cannot do a molding profile unless one edge is dead plumb, so I fudged in a little plumb edge somewhere. I also learned that the molding "attaches" at what I call the framing line of the roof. It goes to the junction of the rafter line and the outside corner of the subfascia.

Thus, when in place, it leaves the edge of the roof sheathing exposed. As best as I can tell in my v.10 Chief, the roof sheathing is uneditable, and is 9/16" thick.

So attached here is a shape that I might try. I drew it in Sketchup, which I still find easier to use than Chief CAD. This one is for a 6:12 roof with 6-3/4 as the spec for the subfascia width.

Name:	Noname2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	28071  
    Gene Davis
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

- unless one edge is dead plumb, so I fudged in a little plumb edge somewhere.
    Thanks Gene and rather smart the "plumb edge" - will try soon - of course some of this is just why CA doesn't account for more than one fascia brd. is a little puzzeling...the gutter as #2 but where is the scocia (sp? 1x2)?

Edit: I guess the 1x2 could be part of the trim.
    Last edited by BREEZE WOOD; 12-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Gene:

I have investigated many roofs in CA and always found the default sheathing thickness to be 7/16".
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curtis, you are correct, of course. I must have been born metric, because I cannot do fractions very well.

7/16" is correct, but how, praytell, does one change that default roof sheathing thickness to something else, in v.10?
    Gene Davis
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Gene:

Until CA changes how the program builds roofs I think we are stuck with the present thickness. If I need to have a thicker sheathing material, I just do it with annotation on the roof framing plan and/or with details showing the roof assembly in cross section.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard