This wall is kicking my butt

I'm going crazy here with Chief V10, trying to get a dormer wall right. See the pics.

It is not exactly a dormer, but the only thing I can find in my manual and training DVD about a dormer side wall that is to sit atop a roof, is that the wall is to be a separate one from the one which it aligns, and is to be specified in the WALL>ROOF dbx as "roof cuts wall at bottom."

That is the way the wall is specified. The adjoining roof is detailed in plan view so as to cut under it where needed.

A vector 3D view taken inside shows things sort of OK. The light surface on the wall in the shape of an edge rake can be deleted with the SURFACE DELETE tool.

What is driving me crazy is that the wall is not there at all when a vector 3D view is taken from outside.

I have tried about every possible way to edit that roof edge in 2D, cutting only as far as the outside face of the main layer, through it, all the way through, etc. The only way I get the wall there and looking "sort of OK" from the inside is to have the roof edge edited as I show.

What is going on here? I have viewed all my roof and dormer training vids numerous times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall in plan close up.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	27261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole plan.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	27262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	27263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outside.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	27264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof cut plan.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	27265  

Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

The roof plane lines are a bit confusing (in that it's difficult to know which line goes with which plane.)
    I'd remove the roof planes, to start.

Then I'd draw the dormer "room", which you may already have. The "Open Below" thing has me confused. I'm thinking that the roof plane there would cut it to no height.

After you have the walls up, then you can put on the roof planes, manually. You have to do a fair amount of shaping around a dormer (no different than actually building it - with all of the cut pieces of plywood to go up/down/around the corners.)

Perhaps you could zip the plan and upload it.
    Mike

This sort of situation is totally unforgiving and what it will take is patience from you while you check every nook and cranny where walls meet roof planes and roof plane edges. Try adjusting these nexus points checking with camera views at each adjustment or edit.
    A lazy user (Not unlike myself) might just bypass it with a poly-line solid to fill in the missing siding layer which is an option but it might be better training for you to just tough it out and find the point or points that are miss adjusted enough to cause the unwanted results you now have.
    Uploading the file is an OK idea too provided it is not over the limit in size.

It looks like to me that it is probably minor in nature, just not minor as an unwanted result; I did notice in your posted images a couple of questionable looking roof edges that appear to need a little more editing and adjusting which is probably all that is wrong.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-02-2008 at 02:56 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Here is the file.

I really need to know how to fix this myself. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gene Davis
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

In picking through this mess, I tried messing with anything that comes into play with this wall, and discovered something wierd.

See the render overview, attached. You can see where I pulled back a corner of the high roof OVER this wall, and for some strange reason, the wall comes into view when the eave edge is pulled back far enough.

But pull it back out, and the wall disappears again as viewed from outside. Two views of tiled screens show the wall OK, then with the roof edge pulled back out a little, the wall is gone.

The wall is always rendered when viewed from inside.

Why is my Chief behaving this way?

Name:	Peel back.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	27278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OK so far.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	27279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gone.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	27280  
    Gene Davis
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Fixed!

Wow, that was brutal!

Finally went to a backcut section view of the wall looking at the inside, suspecting that there was something about the top edge of the wall, some interruption along the edge, that when a roof edge passes over it, causes the wall to go bonkers.

Now believe me, I never looked at this wall in a section cut view before. Never. But lo and behold, along that top edge there was an intermediate node handle. That was the interruption. I dragged it over to mate up with the one to its R, over in the top R corner, and lo! No problemo with the wall now, as regards visibility when the roof is brought over it.

Name:	Fixed!.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	27281  
    Gene Davis
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

You have exercised the procedure I always use when confronted by unwanted behavior- you directly confront the area of bad behavior and poke, pull, tinker, drag, eye-ball that area until it does what you want and you never give up. If you look thoroughly 99.999% of the time there will be found a string to pull and you then pull it! It doesn't even matter what that "string" is as long as you find it and pull like mad. You are always the boss, not the PC or software... you!

VERY WELL DONE INDEED!!!!!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!