Header dimensions in schedules (metric)

Hi All,

I broached this one earlier as part of a schedule question but did not get a specific response - if anyone can shed some light here that would be great. The header sizes in my window & door schedules read 9 x 14 x length (the lengths are correct) instead of 90 x 140 x length. I can't for the life of me work out how this can be changed to read correctly. I have checked that they are correct in the framing dbx (which they are). I realize there are other ways of showing these dimension or creating the schedules but by doing that I feel that the program is not doing what it was designed to do. I also realize that I may be having a complete brain fade and missing something obvious.

thanks,
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

Nick:

Here's a quick example I put together (sorry but I am using inches) that hopefully will help shed some light on the how CA does the headers in the schedule.

From left to right I am showing the following window or door opening width and added space for rough opening:
    24" window + 1" for R.O.
    36" door + 2" for R.O.
    60" door + 3" for R.O.
    48" window + 4" for R.O.

Since all the opening widths are < (less than) 100", there is only a single trimmer stud on each side of the headers. The wall I am using has framing members that are 2 x 6's (1-1/2" x 5-1/2" nominal). Since CA is specifying 2 ea. headers for each opening, the "thickness" of the headers is only 3" (1-1/2" x 2) which would allow for an additional filler 2" thick (e.g., EPS insulation).

I am not sure what exactly you need to change in your case. In the example above, if I wanted to display a cross section of the header with insulation in between, I would probably just due that with the CAD tools. CA doesn't allows us to set up the headers with an additional material different than framing members, which have to be the same thickness and depth (e.g. 1-1/2" thick x 5-1/2" depth(height)). Hope this helped you a little.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WallFramingPlan.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	24995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FramingOverview.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	24996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuildFramingHeaderDefaults.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	24997
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks Curt,
    I really appreciate the time you have taken to explain this. My question was rapidly sinking to the bottom of the heap without a response. I now clearly understand how this all goes together. My issue still seems to persist though, with the metric height and width being divided by 10 in the schedule. I am wondering if it is a metric glitch of sorts.
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

Nick:

So, in metric #'s, what are the "individual" thickness and height of a single metric header member that would be equivalent to our 2 x 4, 2 x 6, 2 x 8, etc.? How do you have those set up in the framing defaults? I am terrible at metrics unless I have a conversion table or cheat sheet in front of me.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curt,

I spent 15 years building in Los Angeles - basically its similar timber sizes here 2" x 6" used to be called 50mm x 150m and has now changed to 45mm x 140mm to reflect the true finished size.(and to confuse the **** out people like me) 2 x 8 = 45 x 190 (was 50 x 200). Same as you guys calling a stud 2x4 when its actually less (1-3/4" x 3-3/4" if my memory serves me right). Our stud size is 45x90, so two headers 45mm wide sit nicely on top of our framing (in most cases). When I set the framing in CA to headers sizes of 2x45x140, 2x45x190, 2x45x240 etc. It persists in giving me 4.5x14x2, 4.5x19x2, 4.5x24x2 in the schedule.

Thanks for your help
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

Nick,

Sometimes Chief looses the plot with metrics.
    In this case it is displaying the sizes in cm instead of mm.
    The curved roof radius also displays in cm instead of mm(despite me drawing it to their attention many times).

Best to send in a bug report.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 07-16-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glenn,

I thought that was the case but felt I was to new to chief to make that claim so soon. I"ll send it in.......
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6