Importing Layers and lineweights

Using ver 9.5 and importing dwg files where I have set up the layering in both programs the same. In other words the layering in the AC file is the same as the Chief layering, having done this the one thing that does not translate between the two is the lineweight. Do I have re-set the attributes every time I import a dwg file or is there a way to keep line weight attributes so that they translate without manualy setting them?

Thanks

Bob

Nope. You end up manually setting them one way or the other, either in the drawing or through the tedium of the "advanced layer mapping" tools, which only deals with lines whose weights are set with "by layer" attributes. So the quickest way to get everything right is to set up your lineweights by layer in other cad, and be consistent with that in the dwg. By the way, the latest version is no better than 9.5 in this respect, although it does a good job of importing lineweights that are not set "by layer". In all fairness to Chief, I should point out that most other cad programs I've used have the same failing.
    Last edited by WHirsch; 03-17-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Warren Hirsch

thanks

I thought as much. I wish Chief would have a plotting setup that would allow color to be assigned line weight.

I'm not sure how big a priority the makers of chief would put on this in that color dependant plot styles goes back to the old pen plotters.
    The only reason Acad keeps color dependant plot styles around is for those who still think of line weight by color.(ie. Red is 60, Blue is 30) Since 2000 the industry standard is to assign line weights by layer (Named) rather than by color. One major benefit to this, for even acad users, is when they share files, things plot the way they intended.
    Rather than my red being 60 and the guy I send my file to has red set to 30.
    Another benefit to not using color dependant is the line weights show up in model space. Although, I typically leave Line weights turned off.
    Last edited by Berdinkerdickle; 03-17-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Robert B.

9.0 to 9.5 to 10 to X1