windy is offline Registered User Promoted

gambrel roof on a garage

i am designing a 24x48 workshop with a gambrel roof and am having trouble figuring out how to do it can anyone help

Draw the roof in 2 steps...

First draw the lower section...you have make a decision as to how high and at what pitch you want the first section to be, i usually use a 28/12 on the lower section, this is standard for the trusses in my area, but it varies and can be done a number of ways. Typically it rises at that pitch until you reach a height where you can tie in a ceiling joist (usually 7 or 8 feet off the second floor). Next draw the upper section by snapping to the ridgline of the lower section, CA will automatically adjust the fac. top to the same height as the ridge of the adjoining section. I usually make the upper roof a 5/12 pitch, again becuase of the trusses in my area. then do the same on the other side and join the 2 5/12s together.

Adjust your Boxed eaves if necessary
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

if you are planning on a Gambrel Attic Truss to be used, then you should adjust the roof heights to reflect the height of the floor truss needed (this depends on the floor loads you choose...storage or living)
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

I just did 6 quick pics...and as i said, you can adjust the pitches however you like when you draw yours, some people build these stick by stick, others use pre-made gambrel trusses.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

windy is offline Registered User Promoted
    thanks for the reply matthew i am new to chief so i am still having difficulties with the gambrel rool i guess i need step by step instructions ill keep trying though

page 378 in the reference manual ( the ? on your toolbar) tells you how better than I can - i've done it a few times, but I can't explain it - the manual helped me....
    Jason Wooldridge

Custom Building Contractor
    Design/Build
    CA Lic.# 844627

Chief X1.04 / 10.08 / 6

"What are you doing, Dave?"

although I haven't done it in X1 yet....???? you never know what will happen
    Jason Wooldridge

Custom Building Contractor
    Design/Build
    CA Lic.# 844627

Chief X1.04 / 10.08 / 6

"What are you doing, Dave?"