Threaded View

Metric users - Scaling problem with SketchUp file import

Hi Glen..

When using the new routine to bring a SketchUp model directly into Chief without having to first export it from SketchUp, I have come across a major oversight for we users running in the world of Metric measurments... somehing else that Sarah Parker will have to look at.

Originally, to get a SketchUp model into Chief I would export it from SketchUp as an OBJ file... and even though the model may have originally been developed by a user in the US using Imperial measuments, I would flag the option in SketchUp's OBJ export routine to export the model in 'millimetres'.

This would then ensure that when the model was imported into Chief using the Create Symbol Wizard it would come in at the correct size.

The problem is that when using the new Direct Import routine to load a SketchUp model from a fantastic model library site like 'Formfonts 3D' (www.formfonts.com), the routine doesn't take this change from Imperial to Metric into account... and as a result the model always comes into Chief at 2.54 times smaller than it's actual size.

It would seem that we need some way of being able to tell Chief what the measurement measurement format was used to create the model... yards, feet, inches, metres, centimetres, millimetres, etc, so that Chief knows what scaling factor to apply to the imported model.
    Ian Hughes
    Australian Chief Architect Dealer

Chief Australia Software
    PO Box 700
    Victoria Park, 6979
    Western Australia

Ph: 1300 134 870
    (just the cost of a local call from anywhere in Australia)

Email: ian@chiefaustralia.com.au
    Web Site: www.chiefaustralia.com.au