Question Line weights in elevation layouts

When I take an elevation and send it to layout the line weights are extremely heavy. How do I adjust the line weights? Or is the answer in the scale? Never had this problem with CA10, but with X1 it's there. Probably a very simple adjustment, but I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

X1 has changed the default value for printed lineweights to 1/100. You probably have your old files drawn for the prior standard of 1/600, so you need to adjust that setting in the page setup dialogue box.
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB

I've tried 1/100, 1/600, 1/1000, but still getting very heavy lines in elevation layout views. Might have to break down and call CA tech serv?

When checking your line weights, do a printout to see how they look. They will tend to look heavier on screen than when you print.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I guess I should have mentioned that not only do the lines appear heavy on the screen, but they are heavy on the printouts as well. The plans that I print out are OK, it's just the elevations that are heavy. Just can't figure it out?

Al,

As I don't know what you have or haven't checked, just thought I would suggest what I would check:

Especially in X1, I am still getting used to the multiple layer sets. It is possible that when you sent it to layout you were in a different layer set. Double click the actual elevation in the layout and verify the lineweights that are attached to that specific layer set. If that did not work, for fun I would change the layer set altogether and see if there is a bum glitch in the layer. Finally, I would erase the item from the layout and re-send it hoping to cure the ill.

My question would be which lines are showing up poorly. All of them? Some of them? If it is some, then it might be in the layer defs. If it's all, I would send the plan to CA.
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB

Al
    I would believe it is the in the pagesetup>drawing scale box.
    I would try right click to highlight the cross section on the layout page, then go to print>pagesetup>drawing scale and try it there.
    I just had somethign similar to what you experience in V10 and that fixed my problem.

Frank.

I have tried to change the scale and ratios to no avail. I haven't tried to work with the layer sets. The only lines that are bold are the outlines of the house, windows roof edges, etc. The siding , brick and shingles are normal weight lines. I will try to work with the layers tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks all for the input.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Packard
    I have tried to change the scale and ratios to no avail. I haven't tried to work with the layer sets. The only lines that are bold are the outlines of the house, windows roof edges, etc. The siding , brick and shingles are normal weight lines. I will try to work with the layers tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks all for the input.

Al
    Al, I have been manually editing elevations in CA10 to obtain what you are complaining about. I prefer having heavy lines to outline building walls, roofs, windows and doors. Most architectural drafting classes tell you to do that to highlight the shape of a building in the elevation. I am not sure if you are sending the elevations directly to Layout or to CAD Detail and then to Layout. I prefer the later for editing. Check and see which layers the heavy lines are located in and what line weights are used in that layer set. You may find that the program is acting as intended.
    Michael Bailey
    Bailey's CAD Services
    Ferndale, CA
    707-407-7660
    bcs-office@baileyhouses.com

SOFTWARE:
    XP Pro, CA V10 - X2

HARDWARE:
    ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT AMD DualCore
    Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR400 RAM,
    XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB Dual DVI Video
    DesignJet 500 & 130nr Plotters

Al, have you looked at this setting? Once in the layout, single click one of the elevations to highlight it....choose the EDIT LAYOUT tool in the tool bar, it looks like the pencil writting on paper, double click one of the heavy lines, and a DBX will pop up, set the NORMAL LLINES setting to 7, well I use 7, use what you are comfortable with, see if that helps. In the pic I have attached, the default setting is 18, which seems really heavy to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit layou.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	14649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit layout.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	14650  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Al,

There are three possible solutions, depending on how you sent your elevations to layout.

1 - If you checked these two settings unchecked, at the red arrows in this picture, follow what Joey just said.

2 - In X1, the default is that these are unchecked. In that case your fastest solution is to keep changing the lineweight scale in Page Setup of your Layout file until you get a good result. As you change that number, you'll see the numbers at the lineweight examples at right change. A higher number (I start at 1 to 1200) will have you thinner lines.

3 - A longer process, but with more control, is to resend each elevation and vector view, using the new functionality in X1. I'm going to start a new thread with the directions. I recommend using the new functionality because, while fixing this particular one will take longer, the new process will save you a lot of time on future projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lineweight help 1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	14652  
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy,

I checked the two boxes and made the line weights 7 and it did the trick. At least on the first elevation I tried. I will have to experiment with line weights a little, but it looks like this will work.

Thanks for the pointers.

Al